First Tri-Tip on the WSM 14

Colin

TVWBB All-Star
I bought this small 1.73 lb. tri-tip on sale at the local Price Chopper because I thought it had nice marbling and was surprised to find out from the butcher that it was only select grade. Hey, I'll take a chance. I was looking for something nice to go on the small wsm and more so I wanted to try the Suzie Q Santa Maria seasoning I had read so much about.
Weather called for light rain all day so it was nice spending the morning on the covered patio. I didn't take a lot of pics, poor planning on my part but here's what I got.
IMG_20210416_115802.jpg
It went on the cooker with a couple of small hickory chunks. Pit temp was really steady in the 250's and it only took 55 minutes to reach 130* internal. To get a nice sear on both sides it went on the kettle with an inverted vortex full of hot coals, four minutes per side.
IMG_20210416_130309.jpg
After it rested for 20 minutes I sliced it with a serrated bread knife. That didn't work the best, not sharp enough. It turned out cooked to medium which is more done than I prefer and not enough for the wife, compromises. The texture was not as tender as I had hoped. That could be due to a couple of reasons, short cook time and select grade of meat are my guesses. Now to the seasoning. Wow, with the light hickory smoke and the Santa Maria seasoning it was very steak like in flavor. With out a doubt it saved an otherwise mediocre cook.
IMG_20210416_134114.jpg
Thanks for taking a look and please critique. Any and all comments are welcome.

You could’ve pulled it sooner. I generally run at 225

The other thing may have gotten you to medium is the reverse sear at 4 minutes per side

I only do a minute a per side over the hot coals.

Was there a fat cap on that or was trimmed off? Shame if it was

Ed

I have cooked a lot of grass fed sirloins from Lidl as they go on sale there often. I stopped buying them, as they were too tough, no matter how I cooked them. The last time I dry brined theme (put salt), and let them be on a rack in the refrigerator over night uncovered. They were much more tender. I will be doing that from now on.

Colin,
It looks great! I agree with much of what has been said here. I take Tri tip to 110 then over hot coal until it is 130 to 135 if you like it more done. Thin slices also. Tri tip is my favorite cut of beef, but I have learned I really like to jarcard tri tip early in my prep and that has really helped the tenderness of the choice tri tips I have been able to find.

Thanks all, I appreciate it. Anything more rare than medium the rest of my family won't eat and that's a shame! The taste was great and very moist, just not tender. I certainly agree with thinner slices. The electric knife would have done much better. Again, thanks.

Back