First time WSM use, baby back ribs (time to smoke?)

Fred Womble

Excited to smoke some baby backs this afternoon, and I'm being lazy by starting here instead of just researching myself. If I want to sit down and start eating around 5, any recommendations on how long to cook and at what temp range...I'm thinking 3 hours on the grill - close? Thanks in advance!

4 1/2 to 5 hours at around 250-275 should put you in the ball park. I would really suggest to take the time to do the research, it will reward you in the end.

I recently had some BBR that arguably needed close to 6 hours when smoking at 225. This seemed awfully long. My own solution is to run closer to 250-275 in order to have them done closer to 4 hours vs. 6.

4 1/2 to 5 hours at around 250-275 should put you in the ball park. I would really suggest to take the time to do the research, it will reward you in the end.

Gary, the thing is, I don't know that his research will help when it comes to BACK ribs, at least not the Cooking Topics from the Virtual Bullet. Chris has high heat smoke-roasted ribs documented and BRITU ribs, but not just good old 250-275* ribs as you suggest. I think that's the way to go, and have no idea the appeal of the BRITU method other than working well with a slow Minion start.

I should add that Gary was 100% right about researching everything bbq, though. It's not rocket science, but there is a lot more to learn, even when it comes to cooking on more of an idiot-proof smoker like a wsm.

It's been a while, so I guess I should post sometime about what got me studying up on the subject. For now, let's just say that I've only had one rib cook that resulted in inedible ribs.

Yep, I highly suggest foiling when it comes to back ribs. Times vary a lot since sizes do as well, but I cook 'em at about 250* for 2.5 hours or so, foiled til tender( around 1.5 hr) , and sauced and back on for maybe 15 minutes.

Hi all, thanks for the replies! 100% agree I need to do my research.This first efort was kind of a rush job in that I had very little time to play with. And I won't be able to smoke again for 2 weeks so I was itching to jump in. Happy to report first effort seemed to go well. I marinaded babyback in apple cider for several hours plus McCormick's sweet and smoky rub. I got the grill to 250 pretty easily and threw the ribs on with some mild Johnsonville sausages. First lesson: I needed more charcoal, grill was down to 200 in around 2 hours, despite opening the vents 90 mins in when I saw temps dropping. After 3 hours, it was 7:30 and my wife and daughter had already eaten so I put on flame grill for about 3 mins. End result was a delicious dinner with zero sauce at all. The spice and marinade plus 3 hours of smoke (with apple wood chunks) was SO good! I can't wait to do pork shoulders in 2 weekends.

I do a 2 hours smoke, 1.5 hours wrap and then 30 - 45 minutes back on the grill depending on the size of the ribs.

Back