First time to grill hamburges on the weber

Dean V

TVWBB Pro
Ok, I grilled these hamburgers yesterday evening. http://www.weber.com/recipes/beef/spicy-jalapeno-and-bacon-cheeseburgers
Even though I overcooked them (ordered a Thermapen to replace the cheapy I have and I'm early in the learning curve) they were wonderful and full of flavor. When I closed the lid the smoke from the drippings was billowing out of the top damper as I cooked them completely over the elevated coals about 1" below the meat. (maybe part of the reason they were overcooked) I used 2 lbs of 80/20 ground chuck plus the called for ingredients and made 4 large patties that were about 3/4"x5". I have a couple of questions.
1) When I made the patties I had a hard time keeping them from cracking and really didn't think they would hold together through the cooking process but they did. Any tricks I should know about forming the patties or is this just how it is? I hate to add any breadcrumbs or egg for binding as I think this would adversely affect the flavor and juiciness.

2) Any ideas on how the get the goat cheese to crumble? It had the consistency of a thick cream cheese and would not crumble.

This was my first hamburger grilling on a weber. I would have posted pics but I was pressed for time due to a commitment on the same evening and I really didn't have time to grill this but I needed a fix. I don't know how I made it all of these years without the Weber Kettle 26.5 OTG.

Thanks in advance for your help/ideas.
Dean

I form the burgers then place them back in the fridge for at least an hour to let the meat firm up. When I grill burgers I set up my grill for a two zone fire, sear up the burgers and then let them finish indirect. This cuts down on the fat dripping on the hot coals. Lately I have been doing my burgers on a carbon steel plate on the grill. I prefer my burgers cooked on a flat top rather than grilled.

I form the burgers then place them back in the fridge for at least an hour to let the meat firm up. When I grill burgers I set up my grill for a two zone fire, sear up the burgers and then let them finish indirect. This cuts down on the fat dripping on the hot coals. Lately I have been doing my burgers on a carbon steel plate on the grill. I prefer my burgers cooked on a flat top rather than grilled.
I think I should have seared and then finished on the indirect side as you did. I will the next time.

Dean I have done the reverse sear and the sear first and they come out good. But my best results to date on burgers is with the Grill Grates, no flare ups, meet cooked quick and however you want it very easy. Plus it causes the drippings to smoke off in the channels and flavor the meat.
Just a thought, I use it on the charcoal and the Weber. One of the smartest purchases I have ever made. Works great on other things like steaks and chicken.

Dean I have done the reverse sear and the sear first and they come out good. But my best results to date on burgers is with the Grill Grates, no flare ups, meet cooked quick and however you want it very easy. Plus it causes the drippings to smoke off in the channels and flavor the meat.
Just a thought, I use it on the charcoal and the Weber. One of the smartest purchases I have ever made. Works great on other things like steaks and chicken.
My next purchase, thanks.

To keep the burger patties solid I roll the meat for each patty into a tight ball with the palm of my hands and then flatten into patties. If any cracks form when flattening, I smash 'em shut. It's kind of fun, really.

Back