First time Gas user

Ron De Hoogh

TVWBB Pro
Today I used my Genesis Jr for the first time and I decided to do chicken. There was good and not so good, the good, the grill worked great, the not so good, the hassle back potatoes took longer than expected, I used Macadamia oil that was infused with garlic on the chicken, not to sure if it caused it to stick (i oiled the grates prior) or if the grates themselves was the cause, the chicken was over done and the bottoms of the potatoes burned but everything was edible so... Lastly I was over correcting the temp with to big of adjustments on the burners, that I blame on the nut on the knobs! :LOL::LOL:

Lessons learned, make smaller adjustments for better temp control, next time use Olive oil to see if that makes a difference.

You cant beat a oven for roasting taters, you can smoke them a lot easier, a grill isn't meant to take the place of a oven, short high heat cooks is its job imo. in a pinch onto the top rack in order to get coverage all over them instead of just the bottom, you will pick it up pretty quick, be careful with fatty meats or stuff that's been marinated, fires are possible

My genesis is a 3 burner, and I've always had good luck with indirect cooking of just about everything in the middle between the burners. I could see having more issues on a 2 burner genesis with uneven / slower cooking. I think one would have to rotate the food a bit to keep things even and as we all know lifting the lid extends cook time.

I think olive oil vs macadamia oil is mostly a flavor thing and would be surprised if oil choice would effect cook time. Sticking happens sometimes if you don't preheat the grill for a long enough time. Of course, my chicken breasts seem to stick just a little bit no mater what I do. ;)

Back