First spin with my new CB Rotisserie.

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
My new CB Rotisserie arrived last Friday, but life kept keeping me from being able to try it out. So even though it was haling, as my 11 year old put it, "dip'n'dots" I was not going to let it stop me.IMG_20210401_160159.jpg
IMG_20210401_204841.jpg
Got my favorite Peruvian Chicken recipe marinading this morning at 6 am. And on the spit at 2 pm.
IMG_20210401_205622.jpg
Got it on the kettle, tucked under the little breezeway roof at 3 pm.
IMG_20210401_160146.jpg
IMG_20210401_160135.jpg
Kettle rolled around 375 for most the cook. Here it is at an hour and a half in, almost there..

IMG_20210401_205632.jpg

And right before I pulled it.

IMG_20210401_205728.jpg
Resting.IMG_20210401_205714.jpg
Still resting...
IMG_20210401_205703.jpg
Cut and ready for service.
IMG_20210401_205645.jpg

That was the juiciest chicken I have ever made. That was the best breast/white meat I have ever had!!! Joe said it in another post that the Rotisserie is a self basting machine. Well I could not agree more with that statement, nor could I say it better myself. I get the hype after the Rotisserie, I may do another bird for Easter, then I want to do some other cuts of meat!

Attachments

• IMG_20210401_205747.jpg
    IMG_20210401_205747.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
Nice first spin, Michael!

Now all you need to do is acquire a 3-wheeler with which you can fully unleash the power of the rotisserie...;)

My new CB Rotisserie arrived last Friday, but life kept keeping me from being able to try it out. So even though it was haling, as my 11 year old put it, "dip'n'dops" I was not going to let it stop me.View attachment 25243
View attachment 25244
Got my favorite Peruvian Chicken recipe marinading this morning at 6 am. And on the spit at 2 pm.
View attachment 25246
Got it on the kettle, tucked under the little breezeway roof at 3 pm.
View attachment 25249
View attachment 25250
Kettle rolled around 375 for most the cook. Here it is at an hour and a half in, almost there..

View attachment 25251

And right before I pulled it.

View attachment 25252
Resting.View attachment 25253
Still resting...
View attachment 25254
Cut and ready for service.
View attachment 25255

That was the juiciest chicken I have ever made. That was the best breast/white meat I have ever had!!! Joe said it in another post that the Rotisserie is a self basting machine. Well I could not agree more with that statement, nor could I say it better myself. I get the hype after the Rotisserie, I may do another bird for Easter, then I want to do some other cuts of meat!
Very nicely done. Braved some really bad weather to do it! I think 375 is the perfect temp. How long did it take? I find it is usually around 1.5 hours for a 5lb chicken. There is a reason why the chickens from Peruvian restaurants to Costco are all on a spit. As long as you pull them at 165 - 175 they come out juicy and great. Now that I have one for the kettle I am thinking of cutting some sheet metal to try and make one for the Q and use the same motor and spit. I have a couple of extra brackets that I pulled off of flippers that did not have the motor and spit. If I keep the WSM 18, I may even drill a hole and a slot for a DIY roti. Would be super to have one for gas, grillin', and smokin'!

A spun bird is a good bird! Nice work Michael, pork loins lend themself to a trip round and round nicely. I’ve done standing rib roast that way too, not sure how much better that was as opposed to straight indirect but, it’s still fun.
Enjoy the new toy!

Mike, Looks like we both did a Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Cook around the same time, however, our Costa Rican Weather last Tuesday was around 75F with a little breezy wind. From looking at your Photos you had one great Cook using that excellent "Cajun Bandit".

Attachments

• qu2sIhA+QP++toUie0dxTw.jpg
    qu2sIhA+QP++toUie0dxTw.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 8
I spun a big chuck roast one time that turned out very nicely, different to say the least but it was good.
I agree Timothy that it is different but the family loves it. It comes out juicer because I would quite often overcook it doing it indirect. I would forget to turn it or the temps would climb up. The rotisserie seems more forgiving to my mistakes. 😆

Mike, Looks like we both did a Cajun Bandit Rotisserie Cook around the same time, however, our Costa Rican Weather last Tuesday was around 75F with a little breezy wind. From looking at your Photos you had one great Cook using that excellent "Cajun Bandit".
Richard - What are you spinning in the basket?

Not fair with the weather!!!

Last edited:
Very nicely done. Braved some really bad weather to do it! I think 375 is the perfect temp. How long did it take? I find it is usually around 1.5 hours for a 5lb chicken. There is a reason why the chickens from Peruvian restaurants to Costco are all on a spit. As long as you pull them at 165 - 175 they come out juicy and great. Now that I have one for the kettle I am thinking of cutting some sheet metal to try and make one for the Q and use the same motor and spit. I have a couple of extra brackets that I pulled off of flippers that did not have the motor and spit. If I keep the WSM 18, I may even drill a hole and a slot for a DIY roti. Would be super to have one for gas, grillin', and smokin'!
That was the only thing that surprised me. It was on for 2 hours and I pulled it at 165 in the breast and 155 in the thigh. I think it could have gone longer and I was surprised that the thighs were reading lower then the breast.
I took my probe through the top vent and had it hanging pretty level with the spit so I felt comfortable with the temps reading I was getting, I will see if those are normal times temp experience as I keep cooking with the new Rotisserie.

great looking spit chicken one of my favorites. Looks like you nailed it. Nice you didn't let the "dip and dots" stop you the worse the weather the better the taste. My best steak i did at -10f , but I did need some anti freeze in me. I've had the same thigh problem a few times and haven't figured it out yet But it gives me a reason to spin another

We are going to be sunny and in the high 70s to low 80s this next week. Time to pull a couple of grills out of hibernation after seeing all these great roti cooks.

Back