First gasser rehab - Genesis Jr. - Modified with 3rd burner

DrewZ

TVWBB Fan
Update 7/4/20: Link to Google Album with many many pictures: https://photos.app.goo.gl/4jkLDT6tcfh1tJfA7

Recap/Postscript: https://tvwbb.com/threads/3-burner-genesis-junior-build.82375/

I've suffered from the charcoal form of Weberitis for a while, but lately I've been tugged by the need for a bigger project. FB marketplace provided the spark to that fuel with a propane Genny Jr. and a full-size Genny natural gasser:

ng-red-jpg.6228

uUAjNDAGwQNbCYvqN0WO7HsJ9kCEPgOL_kYz0ENVK598OLmVlhckSjs510RaKTkGlwA2Tial1pADRvra2-COTri7CLiCOgH9OvAyZzfTtKUjqafptvqUufK1Hb82GpUToFh2Yfmgp5A=w800

For now, I've got them both disassembled while I try to figure out the scope of the project. Generally speaking, I plan on cannibalizing the full-size Genny as much as possible to put Junior back together. I was pretty pessimistic about Junior's condition from the FB photos -- all the wood was either seriously rotted or gone, the two lower crossmembers were rusted and disconnected and there were no pictures of the interior. Thankfully, the worst bits were pictured. Under the hood, the grates, flavorizer bars and burner tubes were all in pretty good shape. (The full-sizer had the opposite problem -- it's best bits were pictured; the rest--meh.)

Before I get elbow-deep in the build process, I've got couple questions:

What model is the full-size Genesis -- Genesis III? The sticker indicates it is model no. 330000

Aside from the length of the burners (and having a superfluous middle burner) would the natural gas burner/manifold work in the Junior? A rough eyeballing says everything lines up right.

I'm sure I'll have more as I go a long. I'll post some real pictures as progress gets made.

hK6BrHLSU-m5lHLCZmrHdpYGOO2r9QTrmwAOB94JuUnQyOpOmWYaHco-Ll31JfLJ7yGqhzlogEVEKO3PNBJopYrn_-qkvAtmfv5BwQAziL_9WkLKptCGCU_aeBfMUx4uhDfHkv4K-mg=w600

Last edited:
Drew,
Congrats on the finds. Did you by chance grab that grill from a woman in New York by the name of Rehana? I was talking with her myself about grabbing it.
That Genesis appears to be a 3000 model with the left shelf area removed. Not much can be used in the JR as the manifold and burner tubes won't fit. You can cut down the grates and use those and you can probably use the z-brackets and wood on the Jr without much work.

Jeff

Drew,
Congrats on the finds. Did you by chance grab that grill from a woman in New York by the name of Rehana? I was talking with her myself about grabbing it.
That Genesis appears to be a 3000 model with the left shelf area removed. Not much can be used in the JR as the manifold and burner tubes won't fit. You can cut down the grates and use those and you can probably use the z-brackets and wood on the Jr without much work.

Jeff

That was her. Extremely nice woman.

Pulling parts from the bigger nat gas grill to use on the smaller propane grill might not go too well. At least as far as the guts go. You could probably make the wood slats work.

With the big one, if you aren't going to restore it to a cooking grill, maybe transform it into a work table on wheels. You might be able to rig up that side burner to a propane tank and use it to start your charcoal (chimney). Maybe see if anyone in the area wants to give you a couple bucks for the old lid and firebox. Those red lids are somewhat desirable.

I believe your large grill started out before amputation as a Genesis 3000 (not a 3 because it has casters).

The Jr. is a very cool grill with history, but will be tricky to restore. I am very skeptical that any parts of consequence - and certainly not the manifold from a 3000 - are likely to work on it. But, I have never actually seen a Jr. in person, so maybe you will find some surprises. While definitely a collectible, we have heard here that the Jr. actually doesn't cook that well. Since I haven't tried one, I will withhold judgment. It was a marketing flop that led to the first Spirit grill as a replacement.

It will be great if you can get that one looking good and functional again. I believe I saw here where rcplanebuyer (Dave Santana) may have helped someone shorten new regular Genesis burners to create replacements for the Jr.

Jeff
I believe I saw here where rcplanebuyer (Dave Santana) may have helped someone shorten new regular Genesis burners to create replacements for the Jr.

Some progress made. I found a buyer for the 3000 lid and some other bits. That will allow me to focus on the Junior instead of trying to deal with two rehabs at one . . .

After further disassembly on the Junior, I think I'm going to do an "8/10-restore-to-solid-cooker" job on it. Structurally solid. Cleaned, but not sand-blasted. Functions like new.

ghtRWErWRSdwkFg9VPI8KNUATANZHim_iknr1i2jCIIRhVywNCScTk_pm2ZqxzlvVEsbXFcqFF0jj7Iz1DSqQVUcER7ayEn-Y-MjshfR4ZYVzVp9kagZu2hE3mX0zo_xSEw32geKDJc=w600

Everything came apart pretty easily. The only major rust issues are on the lower parts of the frame.

zxvPrGUHjaVq8HnFqcXJumf5p4HNfYG4ycWyHcVfMihmgIDpKp6gjfi0ZWhr4-Fzi-hzczEnOaA7XRS66BZGOeK2CSNoesOso6P8PqHgG54JtarkCfdDYXoZ3vxENHWJqUREkiy6eDE=w600

roNvz-OS-E_LU3hcL6SFAYsjG4Ept873oK-515n-5Oe0KfgAVlytw5pgsV9bNKtNdYUHauVXqWR1jThLtQe17nfcQjFda6xIC58DVDGCj4tqhBTGSx206cZZL_Z8hXBfCLPUDT7EufE=w600

I plan on using the left leg assembly from the 3000 with casters and cutting down the cross-pieces from the 3000 rather than trying to cut/patch the Junior's rust.

While I was at it, I test-fit the 3000's NG manifold onto the Junior's cookbox with the Junior's burners.

6qqWoqxtAEQc23nageReJrHKBPR4Mz5RI31FHb5RoNtH1fUbZoXtEXx3QwK1xgKzCKcwpEiND0Qvwj-gdbT8XZuCUizldMtImbjw2wJJ_33zBZHGgjx334ZkRmfp7U64cpEscI069nM=w600

fljwNkqzy-WFagBYS67lasot9HQE7k1_NsFtYwyEz53ZEiMTvLceCunPsgvEIPA2VKu8-eze0VppPyGPVpxidvbV-KvV9GTrb-Rhb3YCDYEo4j99mpSo0YwH-OwpzB6Ytchx-dL7zj8=w600

Aside from the center valve, it looks like it would work, no? Any reason why I couldn't cut a hole in the Junior's cookbox to add a center burner?

Those are my thoughts for the moment. I'd appreciate any and all input.

Drew,
Interesting on that 3000 Manifold...if you do the mod you'd have the only 3 burner Junior in existence.

Jeff

It figures the spacing would be correct. Since the fire box is the same size front to back as a full size Genesis from that era. I see no reason you could not add 3rd burner since it basically "hangs" off the Xover

Drew,
One thing to check, those 3000 Burner Tubes are longer than the original Junior Tubes therefore the burner control knobs will not line up with the control panel.

Jeff

I am understanding you to say that the picture shows a 3000 manifold with Jr. burners. If so, I would agree with Larry assuming you can find - or make - a 3rd Jr. sized burner tube. It would probably substantially raise the performance of the Jr. which others here have claimed is not all that great. The only argument I can give against it is that it is not historically accurate. If I am following Jeff, I think you might not be able to use a 3000 control panel but would instead have to cut a new hole in the Jr. control panel.

We will all be very interested to see your project unfold - and how well it cooks for you!

...The Jr. is a very cool grill with history, but will be tricky to restore. I am very skeptical that any parts of consequence - and certainly not the manifold from a 3000 - are likely to work on it.

Shows how much I know:rolleyes:!!!

I am understanding you to say that the picture shows a 3000 manifold with Jr. burners. If so, I would agree with Larry assuming you can find - or make - a 3rd Jr. sized burner tube. It would probably substantially raise the performance of the Jr. which others here have claimed is not all that great. The only argument I can give against it is that it is not historically accurate. If I am following Jeff, I think you might not be able to use a 3000 control panel but would instead have to cut a new hole in the Jr. control panel.

We will all be very interested to see your project unfold - and how well it cooks for you!

Correct. The picture shows Junior burners on a 3000 manifold. I may try to cut and crimp the 3000's middle burner for test-fit purposes. I'm leaning toward trying it because I already have an outside NG hookup, but I'll need to mull it over a bit more before committing to cutting into the Junior's firebox.

Last edited:

Back