First Coppa is ready!

Rich G

TVWBB Honor Circle
So, if you want the whole saga, and haven't seen my Coppa thread in the Charcuterie forum, check it out for more details. The short version is that I put two money muscles into a dry cure on 11/20. 8 days later, they were removed from the cure, cased, and hung in a curing chamber at 55F/75%rH. Today, the smaller of the two felt nicely firmed up, and at 36% weight loss, I determined it was time.....

1612306468580.jpeg

I had been a bit concerned that my cure time was too short, but judging by the bright red color all the way through, that concern was unfounded. How's it taste? Fantastic! Just a hint of the spices come through (bay, clove, etc.), if sliced thinly enough it just about melts in your mouth, and, though it's a touch salty (I'll soak after cure next time) it's good enough to eat on it's own or in a variety of preparations (think pretty much any way you might use prosciutto.)

I'm really pleased with how this turned out, and it really makes me look forward to the loin and the belly I have hanging in the curing chamber still. Fun stuff!!

R

wow Rich, those look perfect - Coppa is the best stuff in the world, and you got 2 hunks of it- that's some very impressive work - bravo, my friend...

Looks great! But wheres the thin see through slices???
Didn't have time to get the slicer out yesterday, so had to make due with my hand-cut, not so paper thin slices!
Yay, isn't this the moment you take out your new slicer from its hiding spot and make your wife believe it has always been there?
What new slicer? This is the same one I've had for years!

Back