First cook- WEBER CRAFTED Rotisserie Crisping Basket

Mack Manning

TVWBB Super Fan
Dear wife saw me eying the Weber and Napoleon baskets and gave me the Weber for Christmas. Design, fit and finish beats the Napoleon hands down. It is about 20" wide, so won't work in my Masterbuilt 40", but does fit the Big Joetisserie on the Summit Kamado and fits the Genesis II 435 with 2 of 3 grates removed.

I tried it today with the divider installed; 3lbs of wings on one side and 1lb frozen seasoned crinkle fries on the other. I'm not impressed. It beat the fries to death and the wings were not crispy. At the end, I removed the fries and distributed the wings evenly throughout the basket. I set all 3 burners under the basket to high, but ended up with bite through rotisserie chicken skin, not crispy wing skin.

The spit and basket will be a chore to clean, and everyone said my grill grate wings are better, so I'm struggling to find justification for keeping the basket.

I'll probably do another wing cook on high direct heat from the beginning. Any other advice?PXL_20230101_214859558.jpg

Attachments

• PXL_20230101_214946707.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230101_214946707.MP.jpg
    241.2 KB · Views: 18
My suggestion would be one more try but with only wings and not quite so full so they can tumble and move a bit more. Start out with the higher heat as well. Then use an instant read thermometer to ensure you are not over cooking them.

If it is still a fail, then I would just use it for things like fries, breaded frozen shrimp and frozen onion rings and stuff like that.

I see it being good for vegetables. But, not heavily loaded as Bruce recommends. I’ve been thinking about one of those for some time but, I can’t decide if I’d use it enough to justify the space use! Ten pounds of junk in a five pound garage!

I’ve been looking at this as well although less for meat and more for veggies and such. Hopefully works out for you

I got one of these "for Christmas" myself. I was eyeing it up in a store, admiring the design details (lock nuts and retaining cables on the clamp screws, the fineness of the mesh, the quality and finish of the welds, the robustness of the basket...) and The Missus felt like I needed it. I've found great success using my onlyfire rotisserie basket, and this is a much nicer piece of equipment.

The first thing I'd say about Mack's experience is that I don't see myself using the divider very much, certainly not with something like a combination of wings and fries where I don't already know that the same process will work for both. I'll usually get the grill up to the 475-500°F range when spinning wings, so that may have had something to do with the sub-par results. I don't go nuts trying to get my wings dry before cooking, and I never season with anything more than salt and pepper with some olive oil to get them not to stick. She likes her wings a little closer to what some would call over-done, so that may be a concern for some people, but we're very happy with the process that I've gotten down.

A little time and dedicated effort to wings by themselves should give you fine results.

Like any other tool, one needs to play around a bit to get used to it. I'm sure it has some plusses to go with the minuses.

That's the one thing that has me on the fence about buying this. It looks like it will be a PITA to clean....
Agreed.
There are a lot of nooks, crannies and crevices. It's like a wire-rack, for sheet pans, but worse. I don't care how much you spray it with non-stick oil, or soak it in the sink with Dawn,(if the sink is large enough), it still looks painful to clean.

Might be good for some things. But I'm not really seeing the logic of this for wings.

There's plenty of other good ways to grill wings. The basic gas grill method of indirect/direct, for example, works fine.

So the point of using all of this gear is what exactly? So you can just to save yourself the trouble of flipping the wings once or twice during the cook?

And a pot of oil on the side burner on your 435 is a great way to make fries.

Second cook, only wings. Still made a mess. This is the crust remaining after brushing, soaking and heavy duty dishwasher cycle. It comes off easily at this point with a stiff brush, but not worth the effort versus flipping wings a few times.

Attachments

• PXL_20230218_184014971.jpg
    PXL_20230218_184014971.jpg
    243.6 KB · Views: 22
Well, that seals it, I’m not go8 g to even consider it anymore! Just bought some smoke wood from Fruitawood so, the money has been spent anyway!😉

Might be good for some things. But I'm not really seeing the logic of this for wings.

There's plenty of other good ways to grill wings. The basic gas grill method of indirect/direct, for example, works fine.

So the point of using all of this gear is what exactly? So you can just to save yourself the trouble of flipping the wings once or twice during the cook?

And a pot of oil on the side burner on your 435 is a great way to make fries.
Agreed: however why do we need more than one(1) Weber Grill that sits permanently on our patio:rolleyes:

Back