First cook - St. Louis spare ribs

Al G-NJ

TVWBB Member
First cook on my WSM 18.5" - decided to pick up a nice looking rack of St. Louis spare ribs from my local supermarket to break in the new cooker. This was also my first ever meat smoking experience of any kind!

Fuel: KBB (Minion method), chunks of apple wood from Sharpe Gourmet
Rub: Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, granulated onion, paprika
Temp: threw the ribs on at 275, but think it ran a little hot throughout
How it went: Ended up being a quicker cook than I had planned, but not surprising given some temp control issues (also, when you have a small child, maybe you leave your ribs an extra few minutes before wrapping in foil, oops!). Anyways, 2.5 hours uncovered, then spritzed with a 50/50 combo of Worcestershire and water (because brainiac over here forgot to check if we had apple cider vinegar), sauced with Stubb's Original, wrapped in foil, left for another 1.5 hours, unwrapped, basted with Stubb's again, and left it 10-15 minutes to set.

Definitely think they were a touch over, but they were still tender, I liked the smoke ring, and my wife raved about them, so I guess that's the only review I was after! Onward and upward from here!

image0.jpegimage2.jpegimage3.jpegimage4.jpegimage5.jpeg

They look mighty good from here, Al! Congrats on your first cook, and well done! Keep good notes, and share lots of pics with us.....we like pics! :)

Rich

Back