First Brisket

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew Appler

TVWBB Super Fan
Well, I finally got a chance to smoke my first brisket. I picked it up at Costco in a shrink-wrap pack. I had to ask for it, they didn't have any out that weren't chopped up.

I was making this for opening Thursday of March Madness. Timing for lunch dictated an overnight cook. This would be my first overnight cook as well.

Minion method/sand in the water pan/smoke and spice brisket recipe. Meat on about 11pm. Temps at about 250 at midnight when I went to bed. Smoked over mesquite. Awoke at 7am. Temps (at lid) running at 340F. Not good. Meat teamp was 195F. So, I pulled it off.

The brisket tasted great! It was, however, a little tough. My conclusion is that the temps in the smoker were about 100F too high.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif I must have gone to be before the temps truely stabalized. I am extremely excited about this. I have PLENTY of room for improvement... /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif My 1 year old loved it.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

Note: It was raining cats and dogs all night long. This affected nothing, clearly it didn't keep the temps down.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-Matt

Matt,
Did you cut against the grain? At 195 it should be pretty tender. Sometimes they can dry out, but it sounds like yours came out pretty good anyway.

As long as I can eat my mistakes I'm still happy!!! /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

Take care,
-Rich

Thanks for the thought! I did cut against the grain.

I have had very little beef brisket in my life. Most of my experience with it right now has been at the local Famous Dave's Barbeque place. Theirs was significantly more tender than mine.

My mistake was VERY edible.. /infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif

-Matt

I'm doing my first brisket now. Mesquite/Pecan mix for the smoke wood. It's a small brisket (3 1/2 lbs) & I expect it to be done by 2pm. Lid temp is 275, and coming down.

some claim that you can take any meat and make it good by smoking but I think if you stat with a tough piece of meat you end up with tough piece of meat. Beef that is. Always get choice or higher grade of beef, anything else should be used as dog food. IMHO!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back