First Brisket with pics

P.Schaff

TVWBB Member
I've had my 18" WSM for about 1.5 years and woke up on Friday to the realization of how blasphemous it was that I hadn't tried a full packer yet. Considering I grew up in Texas, this is especially sinful. I work for a non-profit and so I'm able to gain access to Restaurant Depot, so on my way home on Friday I picked a 12lb choice packer.

I thought the packer I got my hands on looked beautiful even though I don't have much experience with briskets. The fat cap didn't need much trimming and seemed to be an even 1/4" all the way across. The flat had a nice bend to it and it's thickness was pretty even all the way through. Pretty much just trimmed off the hard parts and left it alone. I used the Texas Brisket Rub and tried to take it easy on using too much.

I rubbed it down around 4pm and threw it in the fridge to sweat. Lit off the bullet around 9pm using the minion and a full ring on unlit original K and 6 chunks of hickory. Steadied the temps by about 10pm for a low and slow cook and threw the brisky on around 10pm. Drank a couple beers until 11pm while monitoring the temps and then went to bed knowing that my 3 month old would wake me up around 3am so that I could check on things during the middle of the night.
icon_smile.gif
Good thing he did....the bullet was running hot at around 300
icon_frown.gif
, so I partially closed the top vent and closed all but 1 bottom vent. Said a prayer and then went back to bed!

A side note, I think it was running hot because I put about 20-25 lit coals on top at the start. Next time I think I'll do about 10-15 lit.

Woke up around 6:30 and the bullet had come down to 200 so I opened the top vent 100% and bumped open the other 2 bottom vents very slightly. It climbed back up to 230 within about 10 minutes.

The flat read 190 around noon and the probe was going in and out like butter. What a bark on this thing! Looked like a meteor had landed in my bullet! Pulled, double foiled, wrapped in a towel and let rest for a few hours. Here are some pics of the final product.....
wsmsmile8gm.gif

First Brisket - Low and Slow

Sorry the pictures aren't great but they sort of give you an idea. I need to work on my butchering a little.....after I separated the point and flat I think I was so excited that I just started slicing into it haphazardly! The point reminded me of a pork shoulder.....wobbly, juicy and easy to pull apart if so desired. The flat sliced very easily and I ended up getting out the electric knife to get an even slice. The giant bread knife you see in the picture didn't really do the trick! That was a bad idea.
icon_smile.gif

I have to admit....the final product was awesome. I've never been a huge brisket guy but this may have turned me. I think next time I'll keep it simple with a salt and pepper rub and maybe add a few more chunks of wood too. The smokiness was there but I would have love more of a ring on the flat. This cut of meat just doesn't need a ton of added flavor in my opinion, it's already so rich.

Sorry for the long post but thought some might enjoy on a Monday morning!

Cheers!
Pat

Congrats on a fine looking brisket Pat!
Made me want to fire up my WSM for one!

Sounds like you had enough wood for a good smoke, but the temp spike may have pushed the meat's temp up too fast for it to take on more.
But, it seems that I often have trouble getting enough smoke flavor too.

Wow, you did a great job, on your first Brisky!!!! My first one sucked, but, I got it down very quickly, on getting a great brisket, cooked on the WSM. I'm a big fan, of the low and slow, overnight method. Glad to hear that yours turned out excellent! Thanks for the pics.

Great job on the brisket! I know I'm going to get rocks thrown at me for saying this here in Central California, but after i cooked my first brisket, I will take that over tri-tip any day!

Nicely done. I have more shame than you. Been Q'ng steady for 8 years or so now and have yet to do a brisket! I like it, but folks I cook for just don't ask for it, so I haven't done one.

Putting my foot down and have to do a low temp packer ASAP, then try a high temp.

Great looking brisket, Pat!

I got my WSM in January. My first smoke was a brisket and it's still my favorite thing to cook.

Back