First brisket of the season

Len Dennis

TVWBB Diamond Member
Getting a whole packer brisket ready to smoke in my WSM smoker. This baby started at 16 lb but after trimming, she comes in at 14 lb (my last packer was 13 lb and lost 3 lb to fat so this one is the better version (y) ).

This is 21" long trimmed

This is with the rub on. Only one side as the other side has 1/4" of fat left on (to protect from the hi heat method I'm using). Hi heat takes about 5 hr vs low 'n slow takes 14-16 hr. As I can start the hi heat one at 10 am (and not 1 a.m like the low heat), this is the preferred method--and tastes as good as the low heat version).

As my smoker is 18" wide and this is 21" long, I use a foiled brick to "tent" it up between the handles so it can fit.

pics won't load?? it goes to 100%, the progress bar disappears but no thumbnail shows and no way to insert??
@Chris Allingham

Last edited:
Getting a whole packer brisket ready to smoke in my WSM smoker. This baby started at 16 lb but after trimming, she comes in at 14 lb (my last packer was 13 lb and lost 3 lb to fat so this one is the better version (y) ).

This is 21" long trimmed

This is with the rub on. Only one side as the other side has 1/4" of fat left on (to protect from the hi heat method I'm using). Hi heat takes about 5 hr vs low 'n slow takes 14-16 hr. As I can start the hi heat one at 10 am (and not 1 a.m like the low heat), this is the preferred method--and tastes as good as the low heat version).

As my smoker is 18" wide and this is 21" long, I use a foiled brick to "tent" it up between the handles so it can fit.

pics won't load?? it goes to 100%, the progress bar disappears but no thumbnail shows and no way to insert??
@Chris Allingham
render your trimmings for that liquid gold and save it. it makes good starter in junk mail or napkins, as an ingredient when oil is called for (tortillas) and makes great tasting french fries too.

if you're pasting the pics into the body of your text reply, after the 100% comes a Loading... refresh and then the pic populates. you have to wait (if you're using an iPhone for example) until the Loading... part finishes before jumping off that screen to grab more pics.

Chris likely has more helpful info. Looking forward to seeing your results.

I did wait (100% then it disappeared/waited a minute or 3 but still nothing). DIdn't think those hard knobs rendered down (from what I read anyways).

I do know that soft fat between p&f is absolutely devine. Dare I say, better than the meat itself 😉

Taking way longer than I figured (translate=miscalculated). At 5 hr and just wrapped at 163o. Gonna be a late dinner.

All done. Hardly shrank at all ( 18" long when done ) and I have pics. Just can't load 'em. and not going to wait a couple of hours to do it.

Didn’t happen.

Haha just kidding, sounds great hope you get the pics worked out.
I've tried several times. Just won't process/100%, pic is "black" (I can see the "delete" button but the box is just gray) but nothing. A refresh just eliminates all that was loaded and/or typed.

All the pics are under 4mb so should not be an issue. But there is

Last edited:

Back