First Boston Butt

Jimmy B.

I recently bought an 18.5 WSM and I am going to attempt my first pork butt. It weighs approximately 5 lbs. I also purchase a billows fan with the Signals thermometer. At what temp should I cook and about how long should it take?

I'd shoot for 225, and foil the water pan and run it dry. At 225, you might be able to cook that butt in 8 or 9 hours without wrapping it, or 5 to 6 when wrapping tightly in foil and a splash of apple juice after the butt hits 165 ish. I usually run a little hotter but I smoke big butts...;)

Hopefully you got all the power cables and such for the Billows. I bought the Billows and Signals in seperate boxes at a local dealer, and neither box had the cable kit that connects the billows to the Signals control box.

Lighting off the WSM correctly is still important even when you're using the Billows. Drop a few wood chunks in the bottom, then cover with briquettes. Take about 8 out of the middle, stick em in a chimney and light em up. When they're gray, put em' back in the hole where they came from. Put the smoker together right away, and get the billows set up, and let it take the smoker up to temperature. Keep the top vent cracked open, probably a little < 1/3 open. It might take a little bit to get to temperature this way, but you shouldn't overshoot.

Good Luck!

Butts came out good. Had a little trouble with the temps due to the windy conditions. Billows kept the fire between 265 to 300.

Attachments

• E0A7C258-E433-4D36-9602-0A785696B2B2.jpeg
    E0A7C258-E433-4D36-9602-0A785696B2B2.jpeg
    226.5 KB · Views: 9

Back