First attempt at Pernil... Oh man that was good!

Michael Richards

TVWBB Emerald Member
This one has been on my to do list for awhile and finally got around to do it today. I decided I was going to try to follow this recipe pretty close and use the kettle more as an outdoor over verses doing a low and slow pulled pork Pernil style.

Here it is after an overnight marinade, into the CI pot, with all that marinade and some water. On the kettle at 350 for an hour before I transfered it to the foil pan with a tented foil lid.
IMG_20220807_092318351.jpg

Here is at the two hour check.
IMG_20220807_130456893_HDR.jpg

IMG_20220807_130509099_HDR.jpg

And here at hour 4 when it removed a good bit of the liquid.
IMG_20220807_135946270_HDR.jpg

Here is at hour 6, when I took it out of the foil pan and placed it on the grate to cook before I flipped it fat side right over the fire.
IMG_20220807_153821142_HDR.jpg
IMG_20220807_153928482_HDR.jpg

Right before I pulled it off the kettle.
IMG_20220807_163455053_HDR.jpg

Served with Dominican Rice and Beans following this recipe.
IMG_20220807_172307271.jpg

That pork was over the top amazing. The rice was just ok. I know that this is a traditional holiday dish and I get why it is. It smelled so amazing while cooking and the smell took me to memories of preparing Thanksgiving day Turkey multiple times. The only problem is that it is all gone. We ate it all. I got a over 9 lb and a under 7 lb pork shoulder form Wild Fork and I thought I would go with the smaller one for this meal in case it wasn't good or people didn't like it. We have never finished a whole pork shoulder at one dinner, until tonight. The reason this is a problem is I really wanted to make a Cuban sandwich with the leftovers, but that is not happening. I will be making this again and soon, and I making a bigger shoulder so we have leftovers for Cuban sandwiches and hopefully so tacos.

This is totally worth a try if you have never had or cooked it.

Last edited:
Never heard of Pernil, not really sure what it is, but it appears to be pork and it looks delicious. Great job Michael! The rice looks good too, but you said it was "just ok". Would you doctor it up a bit next time or just find another recipe?

Charlie

That looks really good Michael! I love Pernil, I’ve made it a couple times usually for New Years dinner. I use the Daisy Martinez recipe, I love how crispy the skin gets. The wet rub has 12 cloves of garlic in it, how can it not be good! Here’s the episode from her old PBS show.

Never heard of Pernil, not really sure what it is, but it appears to be pork and it looks delicious. Great job Michael! The rice looks good too, but you said it was "just ok". Would you doctor it up a bit next time or just find another recipe?

Charlie
It's definitely worth doing. Glad this post popped up and put it on my radar again, I had kinda forgotten about Pernil and have some pork shoulder in the freezer that needs a plan of attack.

Never heard of Pernil, not really sure what it is, but it appears to be pork and it looks delicious.
Pernil is Dominican or Puerto Rican. It is traditional roasted pork shoulder. Garlic is key with Onions, herbs, and citrus and other notes. Get the bark crispy and oh man it is good.
Great job Michael! The rice looks good too, but you said it was "just ok". Would you doctor it up a bit next time or just find another recipe?
I have multiple rice & bean recipes and rice recipes (all with a Latina influence) that we love as a family and I will go with one of them. My mother in law said it best, the recipe was much more tame then other rice dishes I make. I will make one of those recipes.

That looks really good Michael! I love Pernil, I’ve made it a couple times usually for New Years dinner. I use the Daisy Martinez recipe, I love how crispy the skin gets.
I was the last to get first servings and they left like all the crust so I took a good bit of it. They then realized they needed to try that part. Oh man that was something special.

I married a Puerto Rican, so I do pernil at least once a year. The Daisy Martinez recipe is closer to what I do. The last couple years, I've removed the skin toward the end of the cook and roasted it on the grates for a big citrus chicharone, served it as a snack.

I’ve not done one in a couple of years but, they are a really wonderful taste treat!
I need to do one of those soon.

This one has been on my to do list for awhile and finally got around to do it today. I decided I was going to try to follow this recipe pretty close and use the kettle more as an outdoor over verses doing a low and slow pulled pork Pernil style.

Here it is after an overnight marinade, into the CI pot, with all that marinade and some water. On the kettle at 350 for an hour before I transfered it to the foil pan with a tented foil lid.
View attachment 56939

Here is at the two hour check.
View attachment 56940

View attachment 56941

And here at hour 4 when it removed a good bit of the liquid.
View attachment 56942

Here is at hour 6, when I took it out of the foil pan and placed it on the grate to cook before I flipped it fat side right over the fire.
View attachment 56944
View attachment 56946

Right before I pulled it off the kettle.
View attachment 56954

Served with Dominican Rice and Beans following this recipe.
View attachment 56956

That pork was over the top amazing. The rice was just ok. I know that this is a traditional holiday dish and I get why it is. It smelled so amazing while cooking and the smell took me to memories of preparing Thanksgiving day Turkey multiple times. The only problem is that it is all gone. We ate it all. I got a over 9 lb and a under 7 lb pork shoulder form Wild Fork and I thought I would go with the smaller one for this meal in case it wasn't good or people didn't like it. We have never finished a whole pork shoulder at one dinner, until tonight. The reason this is a problem is I really wanted to make a Cuban sandwich with the leftovers, but that is not happening. I will be making this again and soon, and I making a bigger shoulder so we have leftovers for Cuban sandwiches and hopefully so tacos.

This is totally worth a try if you have never had or cooked it.
That really looks good.
Been looking at pernil recipes and thinking about cooking some up for a while now. Your pics just made the decision easier. Definitely on my short list now.

This is close to what I've done the last couple years, except I crisp the skin separately. I resisted it, but washing in vinegar before you begin makes for a more authentic flavor and removes some of the strong porkiness that is sometimes present.

Back