Firmware 4042 Update

LKruse

TVWBB Fan
Looks like a new version of the firmware update is out. I turned the SF on tonight and loaded the WebConnect app. Left the SF on for 15 minutes or so and then performed the shutdown procedure. Upon powering the unit back on the new firmware was installed.

Version 04042 (Available 9/21): Further improved shutdown procedure

As an early adaptor (for about two weeks), I would suggest using an air probe to monitor the temp. I have found that the actual temp is significantly lower than what the controller indicates.

Thanks for the heads up on the update. On my grill the difference between set and what my Maverick pit probe reads varies with where on the grate I set it. On my last cook it was from varied from 15 to 25 degrees lower in the left front. However it read 10 degrees higher when I moved the probe to the top grate. For BBQ I don't have a problem with those differences. BTW, I found the same thing on my Camp Chef with the Rec Tec controller and RTD so it's a trait shared by other pellet grills.

Lew, I am talking about something different. Put your air probe next to the SF probe. You will find that they read the same until you get close to the target temp. Then suddenly the controller temp will jump 50 degrees or more while the air probe says the same. Most of the time the controller will say that it is a target temp but the air will be 30 plus degrees less. In several of my runs, the controller never got close to the target even after 2 or more hours. I have checked this with multiple temp gauges. This will really mess up cooks that are time/temp dependent. How example, two hours at 350 will not be done. This now forces you to use an internal temp probe.

Lew, I am talking about something different. Put your air probe next to the SF probe. You will find that they read the same until you get close to the target temp. Then suddenly the controller temp will jump 50 degrees or more while the air probe says the same. Most of the time the controller will say that it is a target temp but the air will be 30 plus degrees less. In several of my runs, the controller never got close to the target even after 2 or more hours. I have checked this with multiple temp gauges. This will really mess up cooks that are time/temp dependent. How example, two hours at 350 will not be done. This now forces you to use an internal temp probe.

I've definitely seen this a couple times when using a drip pan and having my Fireboard hooked up to monitor recently. Mine was about 20-30 degrees off, but I assumed it was because my ambient was above the drip pan. Also, have you tried cleaning your pit probe? Build up can sometimes affect its accuracy.

I did see enough discrepency that I was suspicious and with your concerns I'll probably be watching mine more closely either with my Fireboard or by plugging a pit probe into the SF controller. I bought one of the iGrill pit probes just for extra monitoring, hoping the app was better where I could set alarms for high and low alerts (so I know if it goes out overnight). Since you can't I hadn't even bothered with it for anything yet, just using the Fireboard. I guess I could at least see the actual temp though on shorter cooks where I usually don't mess with the Fireboard.

It has nothing to do with the controller probe. It has everything to do with the 4042 firmware which was designed not to overshoot any temp set point. This is a good goal but the PID averaging is weighted too heavily on the temp increase side. This stops the temp increase too soon and holds the controller 20 plus degrees (or more) too low. I really want to hear what other users experience if they have multiple thermometers. I would position one next to the SF probe so that a direct comparison can be made.

It has nothing to do with the controller probe. It has everything to do with the 4042 firmware which was designed not to overshoot any temp set point. This is a good goal but the PID averaging is weighted too heavily on the temp increase side. This stops the temp increase too soon and holds the controller 20 plus degrees (or more) too low. I really want to hear what other users experience if they have multiple thermometers. I would position one next to the SF probe so that a direct comparison can be made.
I did that when I got my SF in July. My Maverick was reading 5 degrees lower than the probe. Firmware ver. 4035. On my "retiree to do list" is to do a temp mapping of the lower and upper cooking grate.

This is an example of what I have been seeing. Controller says it is at 200. Probe says it is at 157. That is a 20% difference.

View attachment 14799
What probe are you using? I’ve used my thermoworks smoke and have noticed this even before 4042. I haven’t paid attention I a long time because the updates have been GREAT! I will put the Smoke probe right next to the SF probe when I do some ribs on Sunday.

What probe are you using? I’ve used my thermoworks smoke and have noticed this even before 4042. I haven’t paid attention I a long time because the updates have been GREAT! I will put the Smoke probe right next to the SF probe when I do some ribs on Sunday.
That was a Weber air probe less than an inch from the SF controller probe. The two probes read the same temp until you get about 50 degrees from the set point. Then the controller temp jumps. It is my opinion that 4035 firmware was much better than 4042. I have been watching 4042 very closely because it was sprung on me. As far as low and slow runs where you have an internal temp goal, you will probably be fine. But if you are doing a recipe that calls for 2 hours at 350, you might have problems because the air temp is going to be 30 plus degrees lower than the set point and you will need more time. I have also seen the same temperature differences with my Maverick as the air probe.

I really want others to watch and bring their observations back so we can learn how to make this thing run better. And believe me, I need all the help cookin' that I can get. :(

I will use my Infrared temperature probe next time I cook to get a reading for comparison and report back.

Last edited:
At startup I saw this. I had set temp to 275, about 245 the pit probe stopped climbing and the grill kept going to 275. So, I adjusted to 300 to make up the difference. Came back 10 mins later and the pit and grill were both locked on 300 for the rest of the cook.

Attachments

• IMG_3687.jpeg
    IMG_3687.jpeg
    125.2 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_3693.jpeg
    IMG_3693.jpeg
    112.1 KB · Views: 13
At startup I saw this. I had set temp to 275, about 245 the pit probe stopped climbing and the grill kept going to 275. So, I adjusted to 300 to make up the difference. Came back 10 mins later and the pit and grill were both locked on 300 for the rest of the cook.
Thank you , ShaneF, for your response. Just checking, you are running 4042 firmware?

I have seen thermistors be accurate at certain temps but then go out of range as the temps start dropping or raising, on fridges it causes over heat conditions that cause swings that it shouldn't, melts noise reducing mastic tape on almost every LG I have ever worked on.

I have seen thermistors be accurate at certain temps but then go out of range as the temps start dropping or raising, on fridges it causes over heat conditions that cause swings that it shouldn't, melts noise reducing mastic tape on almost every LG I have ever worked on.
My issues appear when I do two temps. Start low and then go to a higher temp. Then I see a big difference between probes. If I just go to the higher temp, the probes are the same. So I am going to assume that they are working properly. May be wrong but I want to figure it out.

I have 2 SF grills, after this last update 4035, I notice that the first grill I bought in February is off by 5 degrees and my second SF grill that I bought in July is off by 10-15 degrees. they were always off by 10 degrees. when I do a full clean up they the they both are on mark, after 2 or 3 cooks I start seeing a bit difference in temps, that's why run a second thermometer when doing low and slow cooks. I just updated 1 of my grills to 4042, didn't see a difference yet.

Back