Firedial Heat Diffuser - Metal Choices?

MichaelLC

TVWBB Pro
I didn't think to ask before I bought the thing, but there's two choices of what I assume are different metals for the Firedial diffuser: one with no description and a more expensive one that says 'stainless steel'.

Is the stainless better? Is it just a looks thing? Anyone know what the plain one is made from? Thanks.

Carbon steel fire dial works OK - I've had mine for a few years (don't use it a ton) and it's in reasonably good shape.

Is the stainless better? Is it just a looks thing? Anyone know what the plain one is made from? Thanks.
The SS one will last a lot longer by not getting rusty, like mine did. I was not impressed by it anyway. The holes tended to let the drippings get onto the lit briqs, smothering them or not allowing the unlit to ignite, (Minion method). YMMV.

My non-stainless cheap one still going strong after three years.

Works great. I cook with it exclusively on my 18. The dumb overly deep water pan was thrown out once the FireDial arrived.

Cool, thanks.

I'm sure both are great, I was just curious/surprised they don't try to sell the stainless model more or even tell you what the default one is.

Back