Firebox mounting bolt

Ed Reed

Thanks to all that have been so helpful in answering my questions as I struggle with my first clean-up / restoration. I'm working on a Genesis Silver C I think (with side burner?) and I've busted the mounting bolt off that attached the firebox to the frame.

I've read plenty about people trying to drill it out with very limited success, but I'm considering simply drilling a new mounting hole about 1 1/2" North or South of the original.

I know there won't be a boss cast for a flat surface like on the original, but why not simply move the hole, make a new one and use a lock washer and flat washer to try and hold it in place. Like in the picture from the area yellow to the area in red.

Are there any thoughts on this, or has anyone reported trying this successfully or unsuccessfully ?

Thanks again for any advice you can give.

cmaVyj3.jpg

Last edited:
Ed,
Did the bolt head break off on the outside of the box?
The last two restores I did both bolts broke as well and I just used a set of vice grips on what was left of the bolt on the inside and the
bolt came right out.

Spray some PB Blaster on it and give it a try.

Jeff

I've drilled them out more than once. I then used a stainless steel carriage bolt and SS nut and washer(s). Also a small dab of Never Seize where any bolt passes through the aluminum will make sure it does not happen again

I only had to drill out one bolt on my grease tray rails. I used a punch to dimple it then just started slow and steady on that dimple the punch made, drilled it out fine.

Last edited:
The Grease Tray rails as well as the Burner Tube #10 screws are threaded into the firebox whereas the firebox retaining bolt just passes through frame rail and into the aluminum firebox and is secured with a nut.

I bet the bolt will twist right out as the firebox is not threaded, but is being held on by corrosion from the dissimilar metals.

Jeff

So far no luck, channel locks or Vise grips wouldn't budge whats left. I've already painted the exterior, but I think I'm going to put the torch to her tommorow to see if it will break loose that way. What temp does aluminum melt? I should be fine, but if not I'll let you know!

Back