Fireboard 2 vs Heatermeter (WSM 18.5)

RyanJ

Hey all,

I have a 18.5" WSM that has done quite well so far, but there are times where I'm fiddling with the vents to get the temps locked in. I have the stock door but it's well seasoned and doesn't leak much. My brother recently got a Rec Tec smoker and I'm a bit jealous of the "set and forget" ability of it. I'm at the point where I'd like to get an ATC for my WSM and I'm wondering where I should spend my money. The Fireboard 2 seems to be the best ATC on the market, but also the most expensive. The Heater Meter on the other hand, seems like a more affordable option that does just as much as the Fireboard 2. However, it seems the Heater Meter (even if you get the "pre-assembled" kit) requires a fair bit of tinkering. What does the group think? I've also looked at going with the Auber ATC (non-wifi version) for the costs and simplicity, but have read of quality concerns with bad cables/power supplies.

Thanks,
Ryan

I have the Fireboard Drive 2, i really do like it and the features. One of the main reasons I got it was the wifi and cloud based system. But ya, it is expensive since by the time it is said and done, your looking at around $300 for the unit and fan. Cost almost as much as the WSM haha. The BBQ Guru DigiQ is another alternative that is cheaper. I had it before and it did the job great but I just prefer being able to make adjustments and view the temperature readings from anywhere on my phone. You still have to adjust the vents a bit to get it dialed in, the ATC will keep the temps up but if your running too hot the ATC not going to be able to do anything.

Sometimes I would ask myself, would I have been better off just spending $600-800 on a pellet smoker like a Camp Chef or GMG so I can "set it and forget it" since after buying the WSM and ATC and other mods. I have basically spent the same amount and gotten all the features I wanted.

I have the Fireboard Drive 2, i really do like it and the features. One of the main reasons I got it was the wifi and cloud based system. But ya, it is expensive since by the time it is said and done, your looking at around $300 for the unit and fan. Cost almost as much as the WSM haha. The BBQ Guru DigiQ is another alternative that is cheaper. I had it before and it did the job great but I just prefer being able to make adjustments and view the temperature readings from anywhere on my phone. You still have to adjust the vents a bit to get it dialed in, the ATC will keep the temps up but if your running too hot the ATC not going to be able to do anything.

Sometimes I would ask myself, would I have been better off just spending $600-800 on a pellet smoker like a Camp Chef or GMG so I can "set it and forget it" since after buying the WSM and ATC and other mods. I have basically spent the same amount and gotten all the features I wanted.

I hear you on the "buyer's remorse" of maybe just getting a pellet smoker, but from most things I've read, the flavor from charcoal beats a pellet grill. I think my last smoke was just a bit frustrating as I was battling trying to keep the temps UP even with all vents open. I think my mistake was not lighting enough charcoal initially, and it seems the Royal Oak briquettes burn slower than Kingsford.

Nothing else compares to functionality of heatermeter.
Its got a tinker factor........and printed parts are a little cheesy

But you can access over internet....operate from your phone or any computer
Or connect to it directly
Operates servo controlled damper as well for better control
Complete control over fan and damper configuration
Adjust tuning parameters ...this is huge.....huge
Ramp temp down at end of cook to hold temp.
Stage multiple setpoint changes
Send alarms, alerts thru email, text msg, or even push notifications
Use any resistance probe, and a thermocouple for high temp grate use
Allow to calibrate all probes

Heatermeter will control +/- 0.5 degree for hours sometimes.....charcoal. upsets always occur periodically.
Different temps......amounts of charcoal burning.....takes different tuning parameters. You need to be able to adjust on fly when necessary

Last edited:
Nothing else compares to functionality of heatermeter.
Its got a tinker factor........and printed parts are a little cheesy

But you can access over internet....operate from your phone or any computer
Or connect to it directly
Operates servo controlled damper as well for better control
Complete control over fan and damper configuration
Adjust tuning parameters ...this is huge.....huge
Ramp temp down at end of cook to hold temp.
Stage multiple setpoint changes
Send alarms, alerts thru email, text msg, or even push notifications
Use any resistance probe, and a thermocouple for high temp grate use
Allow to calibrate all probes

Heatermeter will control +/- 0.5 degree for hours sometimes.....charcoal. upsets always occur periodically.
Different temps......amounts of charcoal burning.....takes different tuning parameters. You need to be able to adjust on fly when necessary

Couple of questions on the Heater Meter. How hard is it to assemble if you choose the pre-assembled kit? There are 2 Raspberry Pi models (zero W and 3B) that have Wi-Fi built in, is the 3B worth the extra money since it's a more powerful CPU? The delta fan that you can get with the kit...is it worth getting or should I get a Pit Viper fan that is easier to mount?

Couple of questions on the Heater Meter. How hard is it to assemble if you choose the pre-assembled kit? There are 2 Raspberry Pi models (zero W and 3B) that have Wi-Fi built in, is the 3B worth the extra money since it's a more powerful CPU? The delta fan that you can get with the kit...is it worth getting or should I get a Pit Viper fan that is easier to mount?

Probably should ask in heatermeter forum.
Assembly of preassembled kit....insert pi onto hm board....insert sd card into pi...screw case closed
Thats it

Pi zero w is great....3b has no advantage. You need headers with zero w.

You do have to download a build on the SD card, configure your network info. there's complete instructions on how to do it and if there's any problems just post it on the forum and somebody will answer how you solve it. Usually Brian, who did all the programming.

Brian Mayland actually puts it all together for you when ships it if buy from his store..

There's a little fiddle factor getting it to work through your router. You must Port your router to it to access it from the internet. Means figuring out how to do that on your router .....reading instructions. In actuslity....simple. there is a catch though.....if your internet service provider changes your IP address of your router frequently...for security... Then you need set up dynamic dns . There's lots of services and instructions on how to do that kind of thing also. AT&t never changes mine so I don't have to do it. you can always connect to it directly and access point mode but being able to connect remotely is a big advantage. you can monitor it and control it during the day while you're at work.

The Delta fan is great particularly if you're using it in a damper like the adapt a damper, Which is one of the main draws of the heater meter is you got the damper also. I can control temperatures from 130 to 350. No minion method, etc easiest way to mount is a 1 inch conduit nipple and dog bowl over a vent.

It's really not as complicated to use as it might seem at first glance. It's very simple. although if my configuration gets messed up and I have to reset up the network and stuff I would have to read the instructions again to do so...really easy now that you can buy pre printed case and damper parts and don't need to print them yourself too. one member who developed the adapt a damper is toying with the idea of selling cnc machined aluminum ones.

Last edited:
I probably would have enjoyed tinkering around to setup a heatermeter years ago but now I just need something to work with ease out of the box.

Time is money. You have to ask yourself if you have the time and do you want to be tinkering around to get it going and figure it out? Otherwise you can just spend the extra $$ with a plug and play unit that will work right out of the box..

Very little tinkering once set up....only initial set up. Assuming you're buying the pieces and not soldering it all together yourself. Which saves quite a bit of money.

18.5 WSM and FIREBOARD DRIVE 2 owner here and have the DRIVE BLOWER attached as well. Going to break it in this weekend, I did test it when setting up and the blower blows a good amount of air at 50%. Plus, using the Nozzle Adapter, I didn't have to drill any new holes into my smoker. If you know how to use a smart phone, then the FIREBOARD 2/DRIVE is the way to go, it can't be any simpler and user friendly.

Attachments

• IMG_2229.jpg
    IMG_2229.jpg
    144.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_2228.jpg
    IMG_2228.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 19
  • IMG_2232.jpg
    IMG_2232.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 18
18.5 WSM and FIREBOARD DRIVE 2 owner here and have the DRIVE BLOWER attached as well. Going to break it in this weekend, I did test it when setting up and the blower blows a good amount of air at 50%. Plus, using the Nozzle Adapter, I didn't have to drill any new holes into my smoker. If you know how to use a smart phone, then the FIREBOARD 2/DRIVE is the way to go, it can't be any simpler and user friendly.
Hey Duc. Stupid question. Will you require a wall power source for the fan or will the FireBoard Drive 2 be able to power the fan? I haven't been able to tell if the whole setup is self contained or if wall power is needed.

Reactions: Duc
Hey Duc. Stupid question. Will you require a wall power source for the fan or will the FireBoard Drive 2 be able to power the fan? I haven't been able to tell if the whole setup is self contained or if wall power is needed.
Hey Frank, the FIREBOARD unit can run the fan without needing an external battery to do. The only caveat is that the fan will only go as high as 50%. I have one of those portable battery chargers that I can plug into the FIREBOARD and then the fan will blow up to it's maxed at 100%. But the unit itself can be powered without needing to be plugged into a wall or needs a portable battery charger.

Hey Frank, the FIREBOARD unit can run the fan without needing an external battery to do. The only caveat is that the fan will only go as high as 50%. I have one of those portable battery chargers that I can plug into the FIREBOARD and then the fan will blow up to it's maxed at 100%. But the unit itself can be powered without needing to be plugged into a wall or needs a portable battery charger.
Sweet, thanks for clearing that up for me.

Back