"Finally got a meat grinder" follow-up...

Mike Willis

TVWBB All-Star
As promised, I want to let everyone know about the grinder I bought (STX Turboforce 3000 from Amazon.com using the TVWB link). I used it today to grind a 6 lb boneless pork butt into breakfast sausage. I did a coarse grind first, seasoned the meat with Penzey's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning, then ground it again to mix the seasoning into the meat and double grind the meat/fat content using the finer grinding plate.

I have to say (although it's after just one use) that this grinder is fast and didn't choke at all. I prepped the meat by cutting it into cubes about 1-2" square and trimming off all of the "ugly" fat inherent in most pork butts. I put the meat in the freezer for 20 minutes (could have stayed longer) then did the coarse grind. We seasoned it a pound at a time, mixed it together and placed the meat back in the fridge. We cleaned the grinder, changed the cutting blade and plate and got it ready for the final grind.

Got the meat from the fridge, did the fine grind, and the final product looked like something from an ad for the STX Turboforce 3000! Diane and I decided to just wrap the sausage into one pound packages (instead of making patties) to pull out of the freezer and patty up when we're ready to fix breakfast. After the trimming of the ugly stuff, I got just over 5 lbs of ground pork.

There was a small amount of unground meat in the "exit tube" (for lack of a better description) but that's probably true of any meat grinder. This one is really easy to clean and prep for the next use. I wish the cutting plates were stainless steel, but the cutting blades are, so you only need to make sure you thoroughly dry and oil the plates and auger (but I oiled the blades as well). Do NOT place ANY parts in the dishwasher, as they will discolor. The great thing about this model is that you get three grinding plates and three cutting blades so you can keep them matched for longer life of the blades and plates.

Now, once I get a routine in place for using this thing, it's going to see a LOT of use when I see roasts and butts on sale! I like the control over the quality of the ground meat we eat. Sorry, but I'm not one for stopping and taking pictures - especially when I'm trying something for the first time. Plus, there are too many great "documentarians" here to try to compete with their photographic prowess.

All in all, I'm am extremely satisfied with our purchase of this particular meat grinder! If anyone is considering buying a meat grinder this one is a little more expensive than some others, but the 3 year warranty and the plate/blade matching makes it all worth the investment.

And Bob, the Posi-traction never had to kick in...:cool:

Listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her why-ee-eye-ine
C'mon and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out STX Turboforce 3000 :p

Happy that your new grinder works so well Mike!
Just wish we lived closer so I could be there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Great write up Mike, now that you got some time on your hands I bet that puppy will get lots of use.
Have you tried the Penzey's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning yet and if so what did you think of it?

Listen to her tachin' up now, listen to her why-ee-eye-ine
C'mon and turn it on, wind it up, blow it out STX Turboforce 3000 :p

Happy that your new grinder works so well Mike!
Just wish we lived closer so I could be there for breakfast, lunch, and dinner!

Bob, I wish we lived closer so I could hear you SING that! :D

Kewl purchase. Congrats on your new capabilities.

I just had take a look & see on Amazon.
Found this.... LOL

Must be because it's experienced.... ;)

And the guy got a 97% rating?!? I guess he was thinking "if I can just sell one..."

Great write up Mike, now that you got some time on your hands I bet that puppy will get lots of use.
Have you tried the Penzey's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning yet and if so what did you think of it?

Thanks Rich! I had tried Penzey's Breakfast Sausage Seasoning with a package of ground pork I found at Costco last year (it was too lean for breakfast sausage though). Diane and I both thought the flavor was better than ANY prepared sausage you can get in stores. Plus, the ingredients list is minimal - spices only, no preservatives, etc. Now all I need is practice, practice, practice - that'll be the fun part!

Edit: just returned from the breakfast table. Had two small sausage patties and I'm happy to report Penzey's hasn't messed with their recipe! The sausage flavor is very good, with just enough cayenne to know it's there but not too much for early morning meals. Yesterdays work was well worth the effort!

Last edited:

Back