Festive period cooks

Gary London

TVWBB Super Fan
Thought I would bundle my recent Xmas and New Year cooks into one post.

Xmas Eve. Couple of slabs of ribs on the WSM. Wings, padron peppers (that look like jalapenos), corn and asparagus on the kettle.

352B3965-D777-458C-AEAF-A21AB2818A74_zpszsrofis8.jpg

4722D018-B643-4816-9C1D-BBD206CB002E_zpsf52lnz4s.jpg

41590FF6-5936-4D66-8ECB-789A3C300B4B_zpsxzymxivx.jpg

Xmas Turkey disappointing but I regret not having a practice. I can cook a better one in the oven. Apple brine for 24 hours then air dried in the fridge for another 24.
I have to say it made no noticeable difference. I did overcook it a bit. I think I need to take meat off just before it reaches target temp, then let it rest.
I didn't tie the legs myself (just left the original ties in place) which was a mistake and lost the onions, thyme and lemon into the foil tray.

516F57FB-3E80-4AE9-8CD9-9A5E609A3344_zpsuxgddeuh.jpg

DBB8660A-C846-4B9E-AB78-F630A309D7FE_zpsdhrmjv4y.jpg

2nd Jan - half a leg of lamb slathered in harissa paste.

http://vid870.photobucket.com/album...E-5B37-4A7A-9FDF-CBD9AF9BE265_zps1rxhzbap.mp4

36412A70-D817-41AB-9F21-A52015A0A828_zpsuzuv2apq.jpg

Thanks for looking

Last edited:
I'm partial to bb but your spares look wonderful, as does everything else. Sure hope you had some leftovers as I'd be disappointed if I only got to have one meal out that banquet :)

Gary everything looks amazing, but those ribs are a show stealer, congrats! Are the counter balance weights a modification of your own doing, or is that something you bought? Very cool

Nice cooks Gary! It looks like the London household ate well over the holidays.

Great looking meals Gary. You really gave your grills a holiday workout. I bet folks love coming to your house for the holidays...

Regards,

John

Gary everything looks amazing, but those ribs are a show stealer, congrats! Are the counter balance weights a modification of your own doing, or is that something you bought? Very cool

Hi ChuckO. I bought the counterbalances on U.K. Amazon. https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rotisserie-Chicken-Counter-Balance-unbalanced/dp/B018STANRY/ref=sr_1_sc_1?s=outdoors&ie=UTF8&qid=1483809872&sr=1-1-spell&keywords=counterbalance I accidentally ordered two but I have found that two are better than one. There were no instructions provided but easy enough to work out.

The cylinder slides over the spit - perfect fit for the Weber spit. Then the ring goes over the cylinder and when you find the right spot (opposite the heaviest side) you tighten it up the threaded "hockey stick". Then you can move the weight up and down the "hockey stick" to get the right balance. I then repeat it with the second counterbalance. I guess you could more until you get it perfect.

Thanks all.

I used three little pigs rub on the ribs, then Stubbs sweet and sticky sauce.
I found them a bit salty but I hadn't realised three little pigs is mostly salt and I put quite a lot on!

Back