Father's Day - iGrill? or other?

Joy

So we recently purchased the Genesis II S-345 at Home Depot. And as 'Murphy' would have it, he then sees it at Costco, for less, with the cover and iGrill temp control with 4 probes. :mad: Sorta bummed out, but didn't want the hassle of returning it. I want the kids to get him the iGrill for Father's Day 👔, but wondering what experiences are with it.

So, can anyone answer Joy's question? Should the kids get one for their Father?

Well, personally...... I tried an iGrill(2) a few years ago, and with my house construction, it pretty much did not work (house has too much screening & RF shielding material in the walls.) This is not an uncommon complaint about the device. I sold it to my [then] boss after only a couple of attempts at use.

I am not sure what the Igrill actually does. If it is simply a remote multi probe thermometer, then I think there are much better options out there such as the Thermoworks Smoke and Signals. If it controls the heat or has other significant features, then maybe it would be worth it.

Reactions: Joy
Maybe I should expand on the technical details on the iGrill(2) issues..... It's purely a Bluetooth communications issue. The device itself & the associated smartphone application seemed to work just fine.

The device uses Bluetooth 4.0/LE. This is a low power system, and pretty obviously done to extend battery life. Unfortunately, while the device is advertised as having something like a 100-150' range, that's only under the absolute best of circumstances, i.e. nothing but clear air between devices and no other RF interference. In practice, I could only maintain a connection from the iGrill(2) base at the grill to my phone or table in the house with line of sight , meaning directly through glass. As soon as a wall was introduced between them, the Bluetooth connection failed within seconds.

This is an issue with anything that uses Bluetooth 4.0/LE communications.

If your husband likes using his phone for things like that then go for it.
I had one and it worked alright but I'm not a tech guy. I gave it to my Son who loves it.
Like J mentioned you lose line of sight and you can lose signal.

Those reviews are for the IGrill 2. I think they are up to v4 now. What are the newer ones like?

Those reviews are for the IGrill 2. I think they are up to v4 now. What are the newer ones like?
Bruce is correct, I'm referring specifically to the iGrill(2).

I've been wandering around Weber's site, and while I can find the latest edition of this (Smart Grilling Hub,) the documentation for it seems to be conspicuous by it's absence. It's web page would seem to indicate WiFi capability, which should be a step up from Bluetooth, IMO. Well, there's the QuickStart guide, at least.

Thanks all! I'm going to have them get the iGrill 3, since it's newer and compatible with our new grill. Only drawback is that he'll have to have his phone with him to check the temp. But then again, he'll have his phone with him so when I text him 'when is dinner ready?' he'll get it. #ulteriormotives.

I had the i-Grill2 and sold it in favor of a Meater Block.
I do a fair amount on the rotis and the i-Grill is no bueno due to the wires.
Connectivity was so-so with my layout.
I do recall liking the app.

With Meater Cloud and Meater Link I can drive to the supermarket and monitor the cook.

My iGrill 2 Saga:

https://tvwbb.com/threads/igrill-2-probe-project-mini-review.87518/

I called Weber to ask a few questions about the iGrill product line. The 4 devices seem intended for different purposes. My understanding, which is not necessarily comprehensive, is:

iGrill Mini = 1 probe Bluetooth system
iGrill 2 = 4 probe Bluetooth system
iGrill 3 = 4 probe Bluetooth system with support for gas grills; i.e. propane tank level, grill light on/off, etc.
Smart Grilling Hub = 4 probe WiFi system with advanced software that tells you when to flip meat, alerts for rare, medium, etc.

Maybe someone else knows more....

I think the IGrill 5 will order your meat from Amazon for you with an add on option that will marinate or brine it as well.

Back