Extra rack(s) on 22.5 WSM

Michael L B

So I just got done with cooking 40 chicken thighs / legs on my 22.5 WSM, and would like to add at least one more rack . Cajun bandit offers a couple of mods . Curious what you think about those, or anyone else’s .

So I just got done with cooking 40 chicken thighs / legs on my 22.5 WSM, and would like to add at least one more rack . Cajun bandit offers a couple of mods . Curious what you think about those, or anyone else’s .
I just had a set delivered to me, and may be getting my 22.5 delivered tonight.
According to the instructions, they use the smaller bottom grate for the bottom, and then two racks of the top full size grate for the mid and upper levels. I have a KillaGrilla grate in my kettle I will use to fit the top, and try the top that comes with the WSM at the middle level.

I will let you know how it goes. I do think I am going to hit them with some High temp pant though before they go in.

I can also try and get pictures if that would help you out.

So I just got done with cooking 40 chicken thighs / legs on my 22.5 WSM, and would like to add at least one more rack
Easy way is to use another top grate turned over.
I'm doing 10# of leg quarters tomorrow and that's what I use.

Your not thinking on painting the grates are you?
No, the Rack supports themselves to act as a corrosion/rust inhibiter . You dont put paint on food bearing surfaces (For those who dont know. Thats likely why Tim was concerned)

Also, just got an update from FedEx.. They shipped it to Texas. A quarter of the distance from the point of Origin to my house, a quarter of the time, all tacked on just to ship it in the opposite direction and turn a two day shipping trip by ground into four days. If you are sensing a major eye roll going on, you get bonus points.

I have the CB extended brackets on my WSM 18. They work well. You get three grates each spaced about six inches apart (two top grates and one bottom grate), while still also having a bracket for water pan or diffuser plate.

FYI, the CB brackets do extend lower down the barrel than the normal brackets. The 18 has an overly deep water pan to begin with, so the extended brackets make that worse. No problem for me, since I ditched the too deep water pan for a flat Firedial.

Turns out that I don't use all three grates at the same time all that often. But I do use the top two grates all the time. Those are a bit easier to access and handle since they are closer to the top of the barrel.

As noted above, there's many ways to jerry rig extra grates.

I just had a set delivered to me, and may be getting my 22.5 delivered tonight.
According to the instructions, they use the smaller bottom grate for the bottom, and then two racks of the top full size grate for the mid and upper levels. I have a KillaGrilla grate in my kettle I will use to fit the top, and try the top that comes with the WSM at the middle level.

I will let you know how it goes. I do think I am going to hit them with some High temp pant though before they go in.

I can also try and get pictures if that would help you out.
Will the top grate from the WSM fit on the middle level?

Glad Jim was able to help you. Sorry if I could have been more clear in my original comment last night.

It's nice that Chris at cajun bandit set it up that way, as grates for the 22.5 full size are much easier to find and come by. Makes it so you dont have to source a proprietary part from Weber Exclusively, or if you get in a pinch have to sit waiting for it to come in the mail.

Picked up these racks from Hunsaker they come in a set of threes so I had to buy two sets you just have to drill your holes to match the holes in your smoker top rack will not fit the centers but the small ride that comes with your cock it will fit in the center are use them when I do About 15 tri tip 5 on each rack at a time they are approximately about 3 1/2 inches spaced apart from top

Attachments

• 43610F28-F873-4EF3-8A43-D4FFB00EE775.jpeg
    43610F28-F873-4EF3-8A43-D4FFB00EE775.jpeg
    156.9 KB · Views: 19
Hey Michael. Finally got my WSM delivered today and got some photos for you. I also did a little bit more testing.

The Cajun Bandit racks will fit full size grates on all three levels, so no need for any specialty sizes at all. It does lower your waterpan still and takes away a little of the access through the door, but depending on how you want or need to set it up I think it is still fine.

I also set a 12 ounce can on the middle rack so you would have a perspective of how much space is between the grates. There is still an inch of clearance above the can. Hope this helps.

All 3 Racks give 1089 square inches of combined grate space

First, the supports
005.jpg
My KillaGrilla grate on the bottom rack
006.jpg
007.jpg
All Three grates installed
008.jpg
009.jpg
And the Can for showing the spacing.
010.jpg

Hey Michael. Finally got my WSM delivered today and got some photos for you. I also did a little bit more testing.

The Cajun Bandit racks will fit full size grates on all three levels, so no need for any specialty sizes at all. It does lower your waterpan still and takes away a little of the access through the door, but depending on how you want or need to set it up I think it is still fine.

I also set a 12 ounce can on the middle rack so you would have a perspective of how much space is between the grates. There is still an inch of clearance above the can. Hope this helps.

All 3 Racks give 1089 square inches of combined grate space

First, the supports
View attachment 34872
My KillaGrilla grate on the bottom rack
View attachment 34873
View attachment 34874
All Three grates installed
View attachment 34876
View attachment 34878
And the Can for showing the spacing.
View attachment 34879
What do you plan on smoking in your new WSM 22.5 that you need 3 racks?

9 full slabs laid out flat? 20 pounds of wings?

TBH, even in my 18 I rarely have all three racks going at the same time. Usually just for big cooks of wings or chicken parts.

But I really like cooking on the top/middle racks over the top/bottom. Both are full size, so easier to rotate. Easier to get in out since the middle is closer to the top. The heat is more even between those two positions. The middle is a few inches further away from the fire when cooking hot/fast/direct over the coals.

Last edited:
9 full slabs laid out flat?

20 pounds of wings?
I hear what your saying, but I think it would be hard to manage the ribs with that may racks. Some of my concerns would be how you get to all of the ribs to spritz or to foil, not to mention the grate themometer. The more you open the lid the more swings in temps. I guess this would be primarily used for catering or large affairs.

What do you plan on smoking in your new WSM 22.5 that you need 3 racks?
To Answer your question, a few things. Versatility being one of them

1. I wanted the extra Clearance for smoking hanging ribs. This way I can hang 10 racks and have a grate on the bottom with no water pan and if one or two try to fall the grate will catch them. Also, If I ever want to stand a really large turkey on end in it I can do so using the middle rack support and not crowd the lid.

2. Chicken quarters or halved whole chickens. Having extra space for a large family gathering/reunion helps. I also cook and take in to work sometimes.

3. I may try to coordinate with my employer to help do a cookout for a local Domestic violence shelter next year if the shelter is open to it. We have done grounds clean up for them before, but would need to see if they would be open to having food brought in like that that wasnt professionally catered.

Most of the time I will just be cooking for myself and family members, but it is nice to have the capability when you need it.

You can certainly get a ton of ribs in the WSM while hanging them. I do that all the time. But that works best if you don't wrap.

If you like to wrap and do 3-2-1, it is much easier to lay them out flat on racks for the whole cook. Rather than having to convert from hanger to racks to hangers again.

I’m not trying to start a debate or a war, but I rarely see ribs that are hung in a WSM have that rich mahogany color with pull back from the bone, that I prefer. Also, I have tried hanging ribs without a diffuser & the taste profile just didn’t work for me. I am contemplating buying the firedial to use for chicken only. I continue to see video’s where people are hanging spare ribs & there usually done in less then 3 hours. I guess I prefer low & slow.

Eric. The ribs I hang over the coals are definitely darker and smokier than ones that are wrapped 321 style. Depends on what you like.

But if you like 321 wrapped style, then having an extra horizontal third rack comes in handy.

Back