Exploding Fatty

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I cooked a fatty and some sausage for the game last weekend. Unfortunately, my Aggies lost but the food was good.

20210925_122503.jpg
Sausage seasoned with some Killer Hogs and some Dirty Bird.
20210925_133010.jpg

Really should have rolled that tighter.
20210925_133006.jpg
Ran the WSM at 250 with the Billows.
20210925_145904.jpg
Cooked some homemade jalapeno cheese sausage too. If you let it cool down with the probe in it, you won't leak all the juice out .
20210925_154252.jpg
Whoops the fatty exploded but it let some smoke get on the filling.
20210925_154515.jpg
It was still delicious.
20210925_155333.jpg
Sliced up.
20210925_155335.jpg
Thanks for looking. Roll those fatties a little tighter!

Pork fatty.....Ive only made one.
Ground pork, 2 pounds I think.
I put it in a ziplock bag....make a perfect flat out of it and then cut the bag off of it, you will see how perfect it works in the pics. Fill with what you think is good, I used pizza toppings.
Don’t fill too much, make sure you seal it good.
Tasty but not a high end meal in my opinion.
It’s healthy too, cholesterol free, as far as I know :LOL:

Pork fatty.....Ive only made one.
Ground pork, 2 pounds I think.
I put it in a ziplock bag....make a perfect flat out of it and then cut the bag off of it, you will see how perfect it works in the pics. Fill with what you think is good, I used pizza toppings.
Don’t fill too much, make sure you seal it good.
Tasty but not a high end meal in my opinion.
It’s healthy too, cholesterol free, as far as I know :LOL:
So no vegetables in it? Well that just leaves me out.

There are many different variations of a fatty & there are no set rules to making one. Some people stuff them with cheese, veggies, etc., some even place a bacon weave around them. A fatty can also just be a roll of sausage out of the wrapper & smoked. I have done a few of them stuffed with cream cheese, scallions & red bell peppers, served as an appetizer.

My wife did the filling. It's some concoction of cream cheese, cheddar and I think some rotel tomatoes. A fatty is just a chub of breakfast sausage smoked. You can also stuff it like we did. Similar to the meatloaf these things soak up smoke like a sponge. I used applewood which is pretty mild. You can also do things like wrap in bacon, stuff with statin meds, whatever.

For example:

Clearly I haven’t lived never having heard or had one of these. Thank you all for the crash education course.

Last edited:
Yeah anything would be okay in one.
I used pizza stuff including sauce, cheese, veggies and meats because I didn’t know what what else to use.....one of my first smokes....newbie. Cheese probably is important no matter what you put in them I would guess.
They are pretty greasy, they taste awesome. I have 2 pounds of pork from the butcher left here I was saving for sweet potato hash but I may make this instead.
Sweet potatoes hash is something else let me tell you.....maybe I should make that and post that.
Now I am only guessing on the 2 pounds, it has to be thick enough to hold everything in and seal up good.
1 pound doesn’t look like enough to keep it thick enough and fill out the zip lock bag. Pretty sure I used 2 last time.
Now I use butcher shop ground pork. I’m not a big fan of a lot of the brand name stuff like johnsonville and similar.
I like to add my own flavour to it, not that pre fab taste.....personal opinion.
I also used it as a meal, it’s greasy for sure, maybe better as an appy.
If you could do one as an appy an throw together jalapeño poppers and a cheese queso or something along those lines you could keep a group happy and full enough without making a full meal.
Maybe add some celery bread and it would be something..........I would roll like that anyways.
These tips along with Chris and Dustin should be enough to get you through, and I bet there is tons of recipes online too.

I used pizza stuff including sauce, cheese, veggies and meats because I didn’t know what what else to use.....one of my first smokes....newbie. Cheese probably is important no matter what you put in them I would guess.
They are pretty greasy, they taste awesome. I have 2 pounds of pork from the butcher left here I was saving for sweet potato hash but I may make this instead.
Sweet potatoes hash is something else let me tell you.....maybe I should make that and post that.
Now I am only guessing on the 2 pounds, it has to be thick enough to hold everything in and seal up good.
1 pound doesn’t look like enough to keep it thick enough and fill out the zip lock bag. Pretty sure I used 2 last time.
Now I use butcher shop ground pork. I’m not a big fan of a lot of the brand name stuff like johnsonville and similar.
I like to add my own flavour to it, not that pre fab taste.....personal opinion.
If you could do one as an appy an throw together jalapeño poppers and a cheese queso or something along those lines you could keep a group happy and full enough without making a full meal.
Maybe add some celery bread and it would be something..........I would roll like that anyways.
These tips along with Chris and Dustin should be enough to get you through, and I bet there is tons of recipes online too.
I think I’d use ground chicken thigh to clean it up some. I’m thinking like a buffalo chicken one. With cream cheese, California cheddar, sautéed celery, carrots, jalapeños, some habaneros, chopped broccoli, hot sauce and sprinkle a little panko on top.

Buffalo chicken sounds awesome to me.
I personally wouldn’t put broccoli in it, weird texture an we don’t eat much broccoli.
Also too much stuff with water in it could be a poor choice, but I don’t know for sure.
The Panko May get lost inside, and my burn on the outside, a low n slow makes these fatty’s great.
That pork turns nice and red, like Dustin said it soaks up the smoke.....I would use peach, then apple, then pecan.
Probably nothing else stronger.
Not sure what your pork choices are either, it’s like most things for me. Make it, then make it better, then the 3rd try make it right. If I can’t make it right on the 3rd shot, I don’t deserve to make it. My 3rd queso was to die for.
Lucky me.........that crap is amazingly good.....also very rich.

I grill a Griff Loaf from time to time. It’s made with ground beef and Jimmy Dean sausage. The only time it didn’t turn out great was when I substituted a different sausage.

I'd like to see the sweet potato hash, sounds delicious!

We do breakfast fatties. Scrambled eggs, onions, peppers, hash browns, cheese with a bacon weave. ( served with country gravy)
Also do one with Jimmy Deans Italian sausage W/ peppers, onions, mushrooms, mozz and marinara sauce. ( served over pasta)

Back