exellent rub, credit due

Dan H.

TVWBB Pro
I think its taken 2 or 3 years but I've really settled on my fav. kind of rub. I've been messing around a lot the last year with dehydrating all kinds of things we've grown here. My latest fav. rub is a rearranged version of the "metomorphisis" rub. I've never been smart about, or understood amounts to use in making a rub, or how to seek the flavors I wanted, but I just wanted to give a lot of credit to Kruger.
Its not rearranged much but I really enjoyed making/growing much of the ingredients myself. I made course grinds of garlic, vadallia onion, shallots, several chilis, herbs, etc. all of which I grew myself and dried and/or smoked then dried. What I ended up with was a pretty course version, all freshest ingredients. I stuck with the amounts fairly close (cause to me it tastes perfect) maybe a little extra sugar for pork and used several different chilis in different amounts. Mostly just to see what I like. I made 3 varying rubs all a little different using smoke/dry (some smoked, but not all) de arbol, guajillo, carribean red habs for heat, even piquillo, pasilla and more. I love the de arbol in bbq. red & yellow onion, and vadallia,...i dried all kinds of crap. The courseness holds very well w/ a 6 hour cook and are the best rubs i've used.
Just wanted to say I was guilty of thinking that your rubs seemed fancy for bbq but im an idiot to begin w/. I've learned a lot here and now a google search of "best bbq rubs" is almost funny to me now. I don't know how you figured it out or how you understand these things but it must just be your thing. We all have our things but I just dont get this. Either way just wanted to give you credit cause I've grown on all these rubs you've come up w/ on this site. So your head doesn't get to big though... i'll never understand the kinda carolina sauce
icon_wink.gif
! just joking of course but thanks for all the great posts you've givin us im impressed w/ your skills! I wish I could send a picture of these rubs they even look perfect, but we got a new camera I don't know how the **** to use it. thanks again much appreciated.

Dan - Great post, you should share your 3 varying rub details
icon_smile.gif
The fact that you grew, dried, smoked your own ingredients is pretty cool IMHO.

And I actually like "Kinda Carolina" Still have a jar in my fridge and will actually be using it tonight on some vac sealed BBQ from a previous cook
wsmsmile8gm.gif

Kevin has taught me a lot! Probably doesn't realize it. I get disappointed when some of my saved KK articles come up moved or missing.

Thanks from this side too Kevin. Sure wish you would put out your own book!

Back