Ever had that shoulder that just wouldn"t get done?

T Perkins

TVWBB Fan
Driving me crazy today. Put on a shoulder on around 1030AM this morning. Temps about 250/275 all day. Pulled it off the WSM around 930PM at a temp of 175. Been in the oven now for 2 more hours at 300. Internal still only at 185. AAArrrrggggghhhhh!

I have had a few that seemed to stall forever! No real ideas why, but eventually they have become good or at least edible.

The first shoulder that I cooked was 8lb and it took a little over 12 hrs, cooked 2 8lb shoulders yesterday and they were done in 10hrs. No rhyme or reason that I understand on why some stall longer than others.

Who knows... weight, age of the critter, diet. No tellin. You can attempt to understand but ultimately it's not up to us. To combat the forces against me, I plan 2 hrs per lb and add 2 hrs to the result. I know that bucks conventional wisdom but it gives me enough planning to meet most meal schedules and I can always hold it over if its done before time.

If I go to the oven I'll foil it, heck I'll foil on the WSM if it's getting close to supper time.:wsm: As you know IT means nothing when foiled. Take it till probe tender or till it fells soft like a bowl of Jello when pressed with a glove on. Usually only takes me an hr or two to push by the stall and get to that point..

Tim

Cook a few or several eight pounders at a time and see if they all get done at the same time. I wish. Sometime a heavier butt won't be quite as thick as one that weighs a pound or more less, and it's anyone's guess which one will get done first. Timothy is spot on about foil helping with cook timing, and that's a big reason why BBQ competitors most all use it. I do as well, especially if I can see that a butt isn't gonna be done on time. Dwaine's also right about giving enough time to a cook, although I don't cook that slow. If not foiling, almost all of mine get done in 1.5-1.75 hr per pound cooking at around 250*, grate temp.

Only thing I can really add is that remote digital temp probes really do help in timing cooks. I'd always have a butt probed in my 18.5" wsm since I got the grommets almost from day one, but I went back to cooking old school blind with no probe in any on my big 22.5" and found it to be a little more difficult. Finally, I cut a slit in the top of the middle section a couple weeks ago so that not only I can monitor a butt, but I can check grate temp, as well. It might be way off from what temp the heat is that hits the meat when they're still cold, but it's more accurate than going by lid temp. Sun and wind are big factors in affecting lid temp, not to mention that you have to factor that the vent temp is somewhat higher and the gauge reads somewhat lower than actual cooking temps. When I changed to measuring grate temp in my 18.5", my cooks automatically shortened and no more 2 hr/lb butt cooks. The slit in the middle section makes it a lot more convenient than using the grommets, though.

Finally, I cut a slit in the top of the middle section a couple weeks ago so that not only I can monitor a butt, but I can check grate temp, as well.

Hi dave.....I've read this a few times from different people lately....can you describe this in a bit more detail? And a picture would be way helpful for us thick headed folk.
:

Frank, I've gotta run to church right now, but maybe it was Dwain that had a pic? Can't remember. It's just more convenient and I used a dremmel type tool. One of these days I'll learn how to post pics, but I'll try to find the thread this afternoon if nobody else finds it first.

I was curious too, and found the link here.

I will be doing this soon to my 18.5.
Thanks for posting this Dave and Dwain.

IMG_0462.jpg

Grommets are fine, but the slot makes removing the top grate a cinch if you need to access the bottom grate or want to pull off so you can get the lid back on while you wrap.

Yeah that's the photo of the slit I cut in the WSM. When I remove the lid and futz with the cook, I remove the entire grill and place it on bricks on my work table. I leave the probes installed on the grate and in the food and get the lid back on so I don't get temp spikes. Once I do whatever I need to do, I pull off the lid, sweep the probe cables into the slit and get the lid back on. It takes very little time.

Hey T, not surprised by that time. Not sure what temp you had in your smoker. I just did 2 butts in my 22.5 WSM a week ago Saturday, and they took 14 hours. And that was boosting the temp closer to 300F toward the end. Before that, I was keeping close to 250F. But, hey, how was the end result? Inquiring minds want to know!

Hey T, not surprised by that time. Not sure what temp you had in your smoker. I just did 2 butts in my 22.5 WSM a week ago Saturday, and they took 14 hours. And that was boosting the temp closer to 300F toward the end. Before that, I was keeping close to 250F. But, hey, how was the end result? Inquiring minds want to know!

I have found similar results which is why I usually go high heat anymore for the sake of time...
250-275ish to get good bark, then full open vents and wrap until its tender

Back