Embedded Facebook & Instagram posts no longer display

Chris Allingham

Administrator
Staff member
Until recently, pasting an Instagram link into a forum post caused the Instagram post to display automatically in the forum post. Due to a change made by Instagram, this behavior is no longer supported. Instagram links now appear as Instagram login links.

I looked into this on the Xenforo support forum and confirmed that this is not an issue with the forum software but rather a change on the Instagram side. Too bad, this was a nice behavior before they ruined it.

Update 12/11/20: It's come to my attention today that the same things is happening with Facebook posts and embedded videos. Facebook no longer allows non-authenticated embeds in WordPress and other platforms. For now, share links will have to do, e.g. https://fb.watch/2jNndZcTkH/

Last edited:
Yes, it was a nice feature, especially since IG seems to be a favorite with people who do barbecue and food. Pictures are important.

There is a bbcode used by phpBB forum software that continues to function. It uses an iframe to embed the IG post inline. The user must insert the post ID between the code's [instagram] tags. Alternately, the same code used in vB3 shows a big gray rectangle that says "IG refused to connect". Correction: my vB3 implementation was faulty; it works.

Last edited:
There is a bbcode used by phpBB forum software that continues to function. It uses an iframe to embed the IG post inline. The user must insert the post ID between the code's [instagram] tags. Alternately, the same code used in vB3 shows a big gray rectangle that says "IG refused to connect". Correction: my vB3 implementation was faulty; it works.
There is a plug-in for Xenforo that somehow works around this situation so embeds continue to work. I may look into it.

Back