Dumb thermometer question.

Jerry P.

TVWBB Super Fan
If I use my 18" WSM as a grill by removing the middle cooking section, will I damage the thermometer when the temp goes above 350 degrees?

That's not a dumb question, it's a very astute observation. I wish I had the answer - but I don't know if winding the needle past 350 would damage it or not.
icon_confused.gif

I was doing a HH brisket today and on an early check, the Weber lid temp was off scale high. Pointed to about 6:30 or 7 o'clock. I stuck my thermopen into the lid vent and it registered 410.

Needless to say I closed the door, which had been propped open. Closed the vents to 50%, including the lid. After the temps came down, I reopened all to 100 percent but kept door closed for remaining cook. Lid stabilized at 335.

I use my WSM as a grill all the time and for many years now. I've had my thermos pegged at 550º many times over the years and they still work just fine. Not saying it's a good pratice to do, but I never had any problems so far. YMMV.
icon_biggrin.gif

If it's just a nut or a wing-nut that's holdin down your therm, why not just remove it to be on the safe side.
icon_wink.gif

Tim

Back