Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Sandwiches

j biesinger

TVWBB Platinum Member
This recipe was written by Eric Ripert for his blog Avec Eric. Its a super easy dessert to pull together and is really amazing.

original link

my pic:

IMG_3877.JPG

From Eric Ripert:

This dessert is so fun to make! Cooking cans of sweetened condensed milk in boiling water is kind of like playing in a science lab. The milk cooks to a golden, delicious syrup that can be used to pour over all kinds of desserts. Because it is cooked in the can and never opened, it will keep in the pantry for a long while. Shortbread cookies are one of the easiest cookies to make and when vanilla ice cream and dulce de Leche are squeezed between, a fantastic little personal dessert is created.

Recipe: Dulce de Leche Ice Cream Sandwiches

Serves 8

2 cans sweetened condensed milk
1 cup butter
½ cup sugar
pinch salt
2¼ cups all-purpose flour
1 quart vanilla ice cream

1. Remove the label from the sweetened condensed milk cans. Place the cans in a pot and cover completely with water. Bring the pot to a boil, lower the heat to a simmer and let simmer for about 2 ½ - 3 hours, making sure to add more water as necessary to keep the cans fully submerged in water. Remove the cans of dulce de leche from water and let cool to room temperature.
2. Preheat oven to 350° F.
3. Cream together butter, sugar and salt and add the flour and combine. Roll out the dough to ½ -inch on a lightly floured surface. Using a 2 ½ - inch round cutter, cut out shortbread cookies and place on a baking sheet. Bake for 15-20 minutes until golden brown.
4. To assemble the ice cream sandwiches, open the cans of dulce de leche. Lay half of the shortbread cookies on a tray and place a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on top, lightly push down to make a small indentation and spoon some of the dulce de leche over the ice cream; top with another short bread and place in the freezer until ready to serve.

This sounds great J. I love your picture too. Boiling the can unopened freaks me out a little bit, but if Eric says its ok, I can get on board. Shortbread is one of two things that I bake (the other being apple pie), so we're good to go. Thanks again. -G

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Boiling the can unopened freaks me out a little bit, but if Eric says its ok, I can get on board. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

not sure if the recipe mentions this, but make sure the can isn't dented, and as long as the pot is topped off with water, you should be safe.

we cooked the milk for 2 hours and it was pretty thick, depending on what you like you may want to cook it less so that not so thick. We are pretty sure that color and thickness is time dependent.

I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Oh yeah, standard procedure for Dulce de Leche. No problemo." So, no problemo!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I mentioned this to my wife and she said, "Oh yeah, standard procedure for Dulce de Leche. No problemo." So, no problemo! </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I look forward to the picture of your attempt
icon_smile.gif

feel free to add it to the thread.

I'm positive you'll love the recipe. My wife hates desserts and yet she always talks about this one.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Great photo, JB! There was a good thread about Dulce de Leche back in December 4, 2007 by Rusty Barton. I tried the URL that I have for it (below) but it doesn't work. Maybe someone else can find it.

http://tvwbb.infopop.cc/eve/fo...590048425#6590048425

Rita </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

thanks Rita. I'd like to read that thread. We love dulce de leche, but don't make it much. I'd like to learn the variables so I can reduce the learning curve. We are pretty sure time thickens it. We'd like it I bit runnier so we suspect we need to cook it less.

You are correct, JB. A shorter cooking time will produce a Dulce de Leche that is lighter in color and thinner in consistency.

If unopened, the cans of Dulce de Lech will be shelf-stable for at least a year, in my experience.

A pressure cooker also works well for making DdL.

Rita

Back