1 tablespoon dry mustard
1 tablespoon paprika
2 teaspoons ground red pepper
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder

In a large sauce pan, whisk together the tomato puree
and mustard until smooth. Stir in remaining ingredients.
Bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes

Paul, when we made this I had no tomato puree on hand so we put whole tomatos(?)in the blender. Unfortunately, I didn't leave it going long enough and ended up straining the tomato bits out of the sauce.If you want to put sauce in go ahead.It'll change the taste some because of the additional spices in the sauce but what the heck.You just may like it. I think next time I make this I'd use the puree and tweek it with more lemon juice and add orange juice. I'm not a real big sweet sauce fan but this one turned out ok.

Thank you so much for the answer.
icon_cool.gif

Originally posted by Paul Kastner:
could you substitute tomato sauce for the puree and not add the water?
I would leave the water as is and just use a 6oz can of tomato paste, maybe less, 4 oz to start. Leave out the 2 TBS of sugar, Dreamland sauce is not sweet at all and this recipe has too much sugar in it. Dreamland uses Distilled white vinegar not cider vinegar. You also need to add woosty sauce to this, Dreamland has it in there, I'd start with 1 TBS. Not sure why the dry mustard with the 1/3rd cup of yellow mustard in there? But Dreamland has a dry, twang taste to it, so maybe you need the dry mustard also. I would up the black pepper to 1.5tsp. Paul knows I'm not busting on him, I myself posted this same recipe years ago. I'm just trying to get you and others closer to the real thing.
icon_wink.gif

EDIT: If you use the 28 oz of tomato sauce, puree or whole toms then dissregard my post. My post is for the tomato paste in place of 28 ozs of toms. Dreamland sauce does not have that much tomato anything in it. I have the jar right in front of me.
icon_wink.gif

Bryan, tried the real Dreamland sauce you sent me the other day. It's ok. I guess it would be good in a soak type application. Doesn't knock my socks off. Rather have some of my tweeked No.5 sauce.

Originally posted by paul h:
Bryan, tried the real Dreamland sauce you sent me the other day. It's ok. I guess it would be good in a soak type application. Doesn't knock my socks off. Rather have some of my tweeked No.5 sauce.
I told you it was different. I guess it's an aquired taste us Yanks never aquired.
icon_eek.gif

I have some real Dreamland sauce onhand. Tried this recipe - not the same. From what I read, there is some "secret" ingredient out there. I had to add another T of chili powder, and I'm also thinking it needs Worcestershire sauce. This is a decent sauce recipe though, and I will be curious to see what refrigerating it does over a couple days.

Paul H. The is receipt is really close and I have used it somewhat modified as my taste suggested. I have used it for nearly 15 years not and put it side by side with Dreamland original. Thanks for your help.

Back