Double Pork Butt Weekend

Dave from Denver

TVWBB Wizard
Hey guys, picked up a 16 lb 2 pack at Restaurant depot ($2.06/lb). But I've got a freezer full of pulled pork. What to do what to do...

Pork butts
hRayNKAl.jpg

Thanks to what I learned from J Biesinger's thread "breaking down a pork butt" I cut the two fat caps off for "mock belly" bacon.

yykk6Vpl.jpg

I had plans to make three kinds of sausages, but when I was butchering this thing, out jumped a 1.2KG coppa and I couldn't bear the thought of grinding it into little bits. This thing is huge so I think it needs to cure for at least 2 weeks. Maybe longer.
Y6KoXrXl.jpg

Stage 1 packaging - coppa and bacon in dry rub cure by weight, about 4 lbs lean strips in a char siu marinade for grilling later and then, even later, char siu bao, my favorite food in the whole world.
6OMPquwl.jpg

Coarse grind
HCzVLoVl.jpg

Fine grind seasoned breakfast sausage
nYPXjxBl.jpg

Breakfast sausage chub to partially freeze then slice patty portions
IRGDKdvl.jpg

Pork pepperoni ready to ferment. I fermented this (yogurt culture) covered in a pan in the oven with the light on for 24 hours. It's currently hanging to dry in the curing cabinet. Here we go!
xSvsXlSl.jpg

Here's the grilled char siu pork
Ax2HeNBl.jpg

Will try to update as these products progress. Or start a new thread in Charcuterie, or something. Thanks for looking!

Your char siu pork looks great, Dave. Looking forward to seeing the rest when it is done!

That is some fantastic cooking skills you have and thanks for sharing. By the way I like your grinder, I have my grandmother's that was given to me a long time ago.

Very Impressive - I'd love to try it! (yours, I'm too lazy to try to copy :) )

Last edited:

Back