Double charcoal grates on 18.5 WSM

tjkoko

TVWBB All-Star
Does anyone use double charcoal grates on 18.5 WSM to prevent the smaller charcoal from falling thru to the bottom? I was thinking of placing the second grate at 90 degrees to the first one.

I double the charcoal grates on a couple of my kettles too. It helps keep out the small chunks of lump charcoal that can jam and/or bend the arms on the one-touch sweep

Cross orientation of coal grates is really smart, that’s why I haven’t done it yet!! I keep thinking there is “something more I need to do but, I seem to forget about it....Squirrel!
I wired the ring to grate immediately then I started cooking...

I do. I used a leftover cooking grate from the Brinkmann Gourmet smoker I had years ago as the second charcoal grate - I expected it to burn through but it's still working.

I don't, I have not found it is necessary.
I don't have any lumps of charcoal in my ash...... Not until I shake the remaining charcoal when it's cold to get rid of the ash, etc. ... So I see it is more of a solution in search of a problem.
If little pieces of burning coal do fall down there .......they still continue to burn.......

Through one of my flips I wound up with this expanded metal charcoal grate for my performer. I really like it and it saves a ton of charcoal as I do reuse the coals all the time. I want to do this for my WSM some time.
20211104_115554.jpg

Back