Do your grease trays on summits fill from rain?

Ken-Canada

My grease tray is filling like this when it rains, I guess I’ll get a cover.

Then it overflows and caused rust underneath and the bottom panel has rusted through under the tray. So now I need a new bottom panel which I’ve ordered.

It’s a 14 year old Summit bbq.

Attachments

• C3E37506-2214-428C-8BCC-11C86AC027BC.jpeg
    C3E37506-2214-428C-8BCC-11C86AC027BC.jpeg
    69.6 KB · Views: 12

Then it overflows and caused rust underneath and the bottom panel has rusted through under the tray. So now I need a new bottom panel which I’ve ordered.

Early Summit 400/600 series were more prone to this situation. A minor redesign improved the weather resistance many years ago. If you've got one of the early Summit, which it sounds like you do, then a cover is really the only solution. #IworkforWeber

Weird. Never was an issue on my Summit. Though I know I saw many complaints about this on the latest generation Summits

I’ve experienced what you have there. And quite often the drip bucket that holds the disposable pan does develop pitting and causes holes. I don’t know if the pan holder has a metallurgic reaction to aluminum foil or aluminum pans but I’ve seen the drip bucket form holes on two Summits I’ve owned.

It rained heavily last night and the tray is full and I put a bucket under the grease tray and the bucket is nearly full to!

My theory is the cookbox expanded and pushed the frame out, thus water flowing off the lid is now being directed into the gap created by the expanded cookbox vs flowing off and falling to the ground. I can’t see any other entry point for that much water.

As above, a cover seems the only way to address and it’ll help lifespan a little to.

That would make sense. The premier of the 3rd gen is when all these complaints started
Yea, I finally took some time to figure out how the rain is getting into the bbq and what the impact of that is.

It seems the cookbox expanded, as many peoples with 3rd gen summits have. That’s the root cause of many other issues. The cookbox is under warranty which is great, but the issue for which the failed cookbox is the root cause are not any longer.

When the cookbox expanded, it pushed out the control panel. So now when rain falls over the lid, the rain water no longer falls harmlessly to the ground. Instead it falls into the gap between the lid and the cookbox (the gap was created by the cookbox expanding) and pools in the bbq. I’m pretty sure this is why my bottom panel has virtually disintegrated, and other panels under the bbq have some issues as well. I wouldn’t be surprised if that’s why my manifold is in such rough shape for it’s age - it would also no longer be protected from rain based on the gap that the cookbox expansion created.

So although these third gens still have warranty coverage on the cookbox, we don’t have coverage for many of the issues the expanded cookboxes created. So that’s too bad.

Look how much water is getting in through the gap. We had a lot of rain over the last day. It filled the grease tray and the bucket underneath (but I emptied the bucket before the picture). And look at the cumulative damage it’s done to my bottom panel!

I have ordered some parts to restore functionality, but I didn’t bother for some of the more cosmetic issues. I didn’t order a control panel, but now that I see how bent out of shape it is, I may need a new one once the replacement cookbox arrives. I’ll see if I can restore its original shape (or close to it) with a rubber mallet before I order one. But I need to close the gap so rain can’t enter from that point any longer.

What a can of worms …. but I’m glad I figured it out. I was puzzled why the grease tray was always full and the ‘grease’ had the consistency of water. I wish I figured it out sooner since it caused a ton of damage to a very expensive bbq! Maybe the insight will help others.

This strikes me as a defect vs wear and tear, it’s too bad warranty coverage hasn’t been extended to owners of this gen summit as a result.

Attachments

• 4F2FD413-F830-4831-92BD-D2D875488D00.jpeg
    4F2FD413-F830-4831-92BD-D2D875488D00.jpeg
    243.4 KB · Views: 11
I don't think it's because of expansion. I remember on another forum when this gen first came out. There were so many complaints on this you could not keep track of them. From folks with brand new grills only to find them full of water if they forgot or neglected to cover them

Well, if you contact Weber regarding warranty on the cook box, I would let them know that the failed cook box caused the rust damage and maybe they will cover the cabinet pieces as well.

Back