Do any national chains sell wood that's 5/8" thick (for replacing rotted Genesis slats)?

Dave Glasgal

TVWBB Member
I was able to find someone's suggestion about Menard's in an old thread, but they don't exist here. I've been browsing through the Home Depot and Lowes websites, but it looks like everything I find is either too thick (most 1x4 or 1x6 pieces are listed at 3/4" or 7/8" true thickness) or too thin (titled as 5/8" but actual size is lower).

I don't have a wood shop, let alone a planer, so I'm kind of limited in terms of what I can work with. I do have a table saw in the basement that I really hope works (came with the house), so I think I can at least rip the boards to the right width. But I can't seem to find anything in the right thickness. Any ideas?

Dave, I don't know how the website specs it, but I bought Cedar 1x2s last year at HD that were the perfect size. The local lumber supply had the same thing.

Ralph

I was able to find someone's suggestion about Menard's in an old thread, but they don't exist here. I've been browsing through the Home Depot and Lowes websites, but it looks like everything I find is either too thick (most 1x4 or 1x6 pieces are listed at 3/4" or 7/8" true thickness) or too thin (titled as 5/8" but actual size is lower).

I don't have a wood shop, let alone a planer, so I'm kind of limited in terms of what I can work with. I do have a table saw in the basement that I really hope works (came with the house), so I think I can at least rip the boards to the right width. But I can't seem to find anything in the right thickness. Any ideas?

The "actual thickness" for those cedar boards from Lowes that Bruce mentioned is listed at 0.8125 in. If you want them to be flush on top, you might try to reduce the thickness of those boards, but only on the bottom side and only at the ends where they contact the Z-bar. A tenth of a inch for 1.25 inches from the end ought to do it. It would be easiest if your table saw would accept a dado blade set. Mine will not, so I would probably try to make some kind of jig with a router. Stained and finished Cedar looks excellent.

BTW, the grey boards on my 1000 measure around 0.715 in thick. Also, I measured the distance from the top surface of a Z-bar to the wood mounting surface at 0.710 in or so.

Dave, I don't know how the website specs it, but I bought Cedar 1x2s last year at HD that were the perfect size. The local lumber supply had the same thing.

Ralph
Home Depot has the exact ones you need. I used them on my daughters Gen 1000 this year. Just cut to size, sand and stain. Cedar 1x2s.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200510-214850_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200510-214850_Chrome.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 23
I used oak that was 3/4”thick on my rehab and it worked fine. Can’t really tell unless you are up close 1C7E39F4-DFC6-43B8-A1FE-AD83B2EBB6CB.jpeg

Home Depot has the exact ones you need. I used them on my daughters Gen 1000 this year. Just cut to size, sand and stain. Cedar 1x2s.

Is that a current screen shot? Oddly, that's not coming up in my search results or in browsing by category. Found a similar one though (actual size is 3/4"); might go with it and just sand down the parts that sit on the bottom so that they flush up better with the rail.

Is that a current screen shot? Oddly, that's not coming up in my search results or in browsing by category. Found a similar one though (actual size is 3/4"); might go with it and just sand down the parts that sit on the bottom so that they flush up better with the rail.
When I posted this last night. I had just did this screen shot from HDs web site.

Back