DIY Handle Brackets.

timothy

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
I had a couple of E-mails from members who wanted to know how I made the handle brackets on my 18.5" WSM.
I did em a few yrs ago and I cannot find any of the original pics of that particular mod, so I had a extra piece of 1/8" x 5/8" x 12" Aluminum Flat Stock leftover and a little spare time for myself.
So first you want to find the center of your FS.

Then using the inner part of a replacement handle, roughly line up that center line with the hole.
Keep the FS in line with the inner section with a good gripand using your free hand simply bend the FS over
And for starters this is what you get.
Now to the stand , that was 1 1/4"
I don't have a vice, so I did this to come up with this.
I cut the excess legs off at 7/8" using Linemans Pliers.
Then just used a Bastard File to smooth out the rough edges, and give it a little round-over.
And this is what you get
icon_smile.gif

I got to roll and get back out of town, but here's a few more pics.
Any questions, please ask.

Tim

Nice Tim!
I made a pair of handles a couple years ago... used some stainless butt used equipment at work to make the bends.
here is the only photo i found, I know i have others butt i can't find them.
DSCN0140.jpg

I cannot imagine NOT having handles on the midsection.

Thanks Jim!
There has been a few threads on folks who made up some brackets, but it usually involved knowing somebody in a metal, or fab shop to do the work.
I wanted to make em so the average joe (me) with basic hand tools could make some up.
I choose ALuminum, cause it's fairly easy to bend by hand, and it's the same material used on the WSM legs ( although slightly thinner )
Oh, love that shot of your kettle covers all facing the same direction..
icon_cool.gif

Tim

I wanted to make em so the average joe (me) with basic hand tools could make some up.
I getcha Tim, i'd do the same if i weren't in fabricating.
Before these were made, i ALMOST bought metal handles from the hardware store, butt I decided i wanted the handles to look like Weber handles.

butt I decided i wanted the handles to look like Weber handles.

true dat Jim.
I know a lot of folks are happy with the vertical garage door handles (no holes, no fuss)
A very easy and practical way to add handles on a WSM.
Butt like you, I wanted the same horizontal look and feel as my OTG.

Tim

Originally posted by Ryan Ko:
How does the aluminum hold up with the weight? I would think they would have a tendency to bend.

With a little over 2yrs of use they are holdin up just fine. I always add the meat to the cooking section then lift it onto the charcoal bowl. Now I wouldn't recommend this but the most weight that I lifted was 60lbs of butts, the handles flexed a little but didn't shear or bend at all.
But of course with any mod YMMV.

Tim

Tim,

Thanks for the answer. I was thinking that stainless would be stronger, but it would also be harder to work with. I may try the aluminum.

I know a lot of folks are happy with the vertical garage door handles (no holes, no fuss)
A very easy and practical way to add handles on a WSM.
Butt like you, I wanted the same horizontal look and feel as my OTG.

Tim

Tim,

How did those no holes, no fuss people add handles without drilling holes?

Last edited:
I added garage door handles years ago and the cover still fits. I used existing holes for the strap hardware. However, I rarely if ever use the handles. I simply lift the mid section with gloves on. I've often thought of removing them but then think what the heck, they're there now so just leave em.

016_zps15f10e25.jpg

001_zps75d18cb0.jpg

That's why I installed my Weber handles horizontal. For me it is easy to pick up and at 65 the only way I will do it. Looks great and the stock cover fits fine.

You could use something along the lines of this:
screenshot_11.jpg

It comes with an integrated bolt. Utilising the bolt hole on the grate straps, no drilling required. It will lay flat. There are literally hundreds of designs to choose from.

Back