Disassembling a Weber Genesis Silver B

J Rudy

I own two Weber gas grills, and one Weber charcoal grill, both acquired used for very reasonable prices. (The Genesis Silver B was free and still in awesome shape after a few replacement parts) I am moving the older of the two grills the Genesis Silver B (circa 2003) from NY to Florida on a sedan mounted car carrier. I could make that loading task much easier by removing the firebox and burners and disassembling the frame into two pieces so it fits better on the carrier. The grill was "put together" very well originally its very solid and I wonder if I take it apart if I will have trouble getting original screws/nylon washers from Weber for that era grill if those are rusted or fused. I know the task is primarily loosening and replacing nuts and bolts and I suppose generic hardware would likely work fine so perhaps i should just dive in. Seeking any feedback or recommendations from anyone who has done a tear down on that model. Thanks.

BTW compared to New York second-hand Webers are much higher priced in Florida. Other grill is a Geneis 330 and with the sear station burn I prefer cooking on it to the new Weber Genesis. Someday I will locate a used Summit :).

I own two Weber gas grills, and one Weber charcoal grill, both acquired used for very reasonable prices. (The Genesis Silver B was free and still in awesome shape after a few replacement parts) I am moving the older of the two grills the Genesis Silver B (circa 2003) from NY to Florida on a sedan mounted car carrier. I could make that loading task much easier by removing the firebox and burners and disassembling the frame into two pieces so it fits better on the carrier. The grill was "put together" very well originally its very solid and I wonder if I take it apart if I will have trouble getting original screws/nylon washers from Weber for that era grill if those are rusted or fused. I know the task is primarily loosening and replacing nuts and bolts and I suppose generic hardware would likely work fine so perhaps i should just dive in. Seeking any feedback or recommendations from anyone who has done a tear down on that model. Thanks.

BTW compared to New York second-hand Webers are much higher priced in Florida. Other grill is a Geneis 330 and with the sear station burn I prefer cooking on it to the new Weber Genesis. Someday I will locate a used Summit :).
Hi J, Please post a picture of the grill so we can comment on what is easy to deal with and what to avoid when disassembling.

If it is good shape you should be able to disassemble the grill. Your grill might use threaded inserts on the frame members which you might need to replace. They can be purchased online if needed.

The nuts and bolts can be purchased at local hardware stores if needed

I put the bolts, screws, nuts, back on the disassembled parts which helps when reassembling.

Hope these are helpful. Thanks!

John

Attachments

• 5208B1C8-3DA6-42A1-97E1-298C48583697.jpeg
    5208B1C8-3DA6-42A1-97E1-298C48583697.jpeg
    31 KB · Views: 27
  • 7F0F05B3-8A4A-47EB-9F9C-3F7CADE6FB8B.jpeg
    7F0F05B3-8A4A-47EB-9F9C-3F7CADE6FB8B.jpeg
    30.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 037B243F-BA88-4B70-A4C6-1471FC86DAC2.jpeg
    037B243F-BA88-4B70-A4C6-1471FC86DAC2.jpeg
    34.3 KB · Views: 27
  • A4AD41A0-F8E7-4676-A252-6A0CC6D88DFD.jpeg
    A4AD41A0-F8E7-4676-A252-6A0CC6D88DFD.jpeg
    28.6 KB · Views: 27
  • 84734AC2-66E8-4ABB-AF84-923C28397717.jpeg
    84734AC2-66E8-4ABB-AF84-923C28397717.jpeg
    31.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 5BB74A42-8A92-429D-AA80-AA3ED525A8C4.jpeg
    5BB74A42-8A92-429D-AA80-AA3ED525A8C4.jpeg
    31.7 KB · Views: 24
  • E914FB92-90FA-402C-A495-10391812B6A7.jpeg
    E914FB92-90FA-402C-A495-10391812B6A7.jpeg
    29.7 KB · Views: 23
Hope these are helpful. Thanks!

John
Hi John,

You do have threaded inserts in the lower cross members for support and to hold the storage rack. Most of the time the bolts come out without issue.

If you have issues you can cut off the boltheads and remove the legs. You can replace the threaded inserts when you reassemble the grill.

The rest of the stuff should be just nuts and bolts.

*****************Please be careful with the frame endcaps********************* Avoid diassembly if possible. They are hard to remove and easy to break

For the manifold you might be able to leave it on. If not just remove the nuts and washers. You can leave the bolts in place if they don't turn easily.

I recommend you go to Weber.com and download the manual. The assembly instructions will help with disassembly and it likely includes a hardware list. When you get to FL, buy stainless hardware (and anti-seize paste) for reassembly. And since you have it apart, you may as well repaint the frame, the outside of the firebox and end caps, and the wire rack. And give the side tables and knobs a good soak and scrub in a bleach based solution.
;) :)

Save all of those nylon washers; you can reuse them.

Do not remove the two screws inside the firebox that appear to hold down the burners. Once the manifold is off, the burners should slide out.

Well I can see the thread was headed to a complete tear down and repaint ;-) always too many projects in the Spring and Summer.... well with some encouragement from member posts, thanks! I disassembled it today and Saturday I will have time to degrease the firebox and pressure wash the frame. Then I think I will do a repaint. I will do some research but I think rustoleum has a high heat “grill” spay paint, does that sound like a good choice?

Well I can see the thread was headed to a complete tear down and repaint ;-) always too many projects in the Spring and Summer.... well with some encouragement from member posts, thanks! I disassembled it today and Saturday I will have time to degrease the firebox and pressure wash the frame. Then I think I will do a repaint. I will do some research but I think rustoleum has a high heat “grill” spay paint, does that sound like a good choice?
Rustoleum is what everyone uses. Rustoleum produces high heat spray paint in a variety of colors and finishes. Generally, the firebox is flat finish, the endcaps are flat or satin finish, and the frame is a satin or gloss finish. I think the "grill" paint might be flat finish. IMHO, flat does not look good on the frame. It will take multiple cans to complete the whole job, so getting cans of different finishes doesn't increase the cost of the project.

I used Krylon and Stove Bright on my resto because that is what was available. I don't think brand matters as much as finish selection. Be sure to post before and after pictures!

Back