DeWalt 18V Cordless Tool Help

GrantT

TVWBB Pro
OK...so many years back...at LEAST 10 years I think, I purchased one of the larger combo sets of DeWalt cordless tools. Drill, circular saw, chop saw, vacuum, rotary tool etc.

Anyways, over the years, a few batteries have come and gone and at this point I still have the tools (they are not the best by any stretch, but they work in general), and 3-4 almost useless batteries.

What to do? I am thinking of many options available...just buying more new 18V batteries? Or, buy 20A batteries and an adapter (would require a new charger), try to fix existing batteries by disassembly and taking out the individual dead cells and reassembling/soldering the OK ones. Look for a entirely new set of better tools?

I can get some cheaper generic ones like this:

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07ZQ7GFTX/

My main ISSUE with new DeWalt 20V batteries is this....TWO 20V batteries and an adapter for the 18V tools is almost $200 here. I can get an entirely new set of tools (see Home Depot link below) including two batteries for $450.

Not sure there would be interest, but I was tempted to just try sell the set of existing DeWalt tools and see what I can get for them and start buying some Ridgid tools with Home Depot's lifetime battery warranty.

Whadda ya think? What would you do? Money IS one of the factors....

Last edited:
I've had my share of the " Pod" type tools. Those batteries because of the design take a beating. If the tools are still good you can try the generic.
That's kinda hit or miss depending on what you buy.
I think I still have an old charger and battery in my garage somewhere..

I never used ridgid cordless so no comment.:)

I have purchased the knock-off generics from amazon and in my opinion (at least for homeowner use) that they are more than satisfactory. I had one of the originals go bad (would not take or hold a charge) ... but now with the purchase of the generic pair, I have 3 batteries to use.

I really cannot comment for Contractor USE. Most Contractors with whom I work will go with bare tool purchases with bulk brand name batteries. They need them to be ready at a moments notice for constant use.

If you go with Rigid tools, make sure you register the tools. I had one with the life time warranty but spaced on the paperwork and they would not honor the coverage.

The DW generics have gone up in price a bit since I purchased back in 2017.

1618846846140.png
1618846860387.png

You mention that the tools are 10 years old… depending on how much you use the tools, it might be prudent to consider new tools as you allude.

One thing to look for when you see the “package” deals at a relatively good price if you opt to buy new tools. One aspect to look further into the technical aspects of the tools themselves. The higher quality tools will have “brushless” motors and are a bit more cost. This is not to say that the other are not good tools… I think it really comes down to how much you will be using them.

I am a homeowner with plenty of home renovation to do. My last purchase was Porter Cable contractor quality impact driver. For running fasteners, this is WAY better than drill drivers.

Also- conventional wisdom from the Contractors with whome I deal have mentioned that DeWalt has dipped in quality over the years. They are generally using Milwaukee or Porter Cable in the field.

I would not buy Rigid only because they are more considered an “entry level” tool for hard use. They are perhaps very acceptable for homeowner use and I am no way knocking them. Lowe’s has their Cobalt line, but I have seen them to generally be more cost especially when comparing them to similar if purchased from Amazon.

In my opinion, asses the duty cycles and extent of what you need your tools to do for your needs before buying the knock-off batteries from amazon… tool technology has come a LONG way in ten years. But with the plethora of tools you have, it might be the best option for now depending on use and needs.

When using a drill or impact I've seen a lot of guys using the battery end to tap a piece into place.
Don't do that. It loosens the contacts between the battery and tool and also puts a strain on the electronics in the handle.
If you need to tap something use the top back end. That's designed to take some abuse.

I had Dewalt, Makita, and another with a mix of different battery chargers and batteries for all. I sold them all and went to Ryobi for one simple reason - They guarantee that the 18Volt batterie form factor will not change. So far through the years they have kept that promise and keep expanding the line. There newer batteries have given my old Blue chain saw and shop vac that they don't even make any more a new life. I have never had a tool or battery die on me. Home depot is always a short drive a way.

Ryobi makes the Rigid tools BTW AFAIK
I have all Bosch tools and love them. I have the smaller 12v and larger 18v LIon varieties of both. The performance is excellent

Ryobi makes the Rigid tools BTW AFAIK
I have all Bosch tools and love them. I have the smaller 12v and larger 18v LIon varieties of both. The performance is excellent
Contractor I worked for switched to Bosch around 5 years ago.
Used Milwaukee ( heavy ) Dewalt, Makita, Hilti ( heavy ) and stuck with the Bosch.
Good value and a great tool. The corded tools are very good also.

I have Dewalt 18 volt about 18 years old on my 3rd or 4th set of battery's been working on this house rebuild update and using Ridged tools alot and I do like them and the new 71/4 circular saw is great also , plus life time warranty on battery and tool it is kind of a no Brainer. If I was going to buy today Ridge would be high on my list.
Just buying Mac ,or Snap-on tools you get alot along with the lifetime warranty.

I have 18v Dewalt tools and some contractor stole some of my batteries and one of the tools. He left behind one of his crummy batteries that won’t hold a charge. I went with the 20v Li batteries. I did buy the adapter so you can use the battery on the old tool. Wow, what a difference. I did buy some new tools such as the chainsaw. I like Dewalt. I also like the Rigid tools and have a few of them as well.

One feature for any new drill/ drill driver type of tool that I would recommend is this:

Get a tool that has the belt hook thingy.

My DeWalt drill from several years ago does not have it compared to the newer impact Porter-Cable which does. When I was doing some work this weekend, I use the PC more for running engineered fasteners and I am so used to just hooking on my belt between usage. For the few times I need the DW drill, I will habitually go to hang it on my belt only to have it drop.

1619446602193.png

One feature for any new drill/ drill driver type of tool that I would recommend is this:

Get a tool that has the belt hook thingy.

My DeWalt drill from several years ago does not have it compared to the newer impact Porter-Cable which does. When I was doing some work this weekend, I use the PC more for running engineered fasteners and I am so used to just hooking on my belt between usage. For the few times I need the DW drill, I will habitually go to hang it on my belt only to have it drop.

View attachment 26791
Yep, those come in handy. Good ones you can mount on either side if your right or lefthanded.

My Bosch tools have/had them. After I hurt myself on them I took them off (don't ask). It was a careless thing but got hurt none the less. I do fine without them LOL. They'd only pull my pants down anyway and NOBODY wants to see that :D

Back