Dent

Shaun Vedchas

Hello, new to the Forum and excited to start getting into smoking. Was going to purchase a 22.5" WSM over the internet and was quoted at $250 for a display model with a dent in the main body and some chipped paint. I was wondering if this would affect the performance of the WSM? Thanks in advance for your insight.

Cheers,
Shaun

Even if it is a display model, I would contact Weber and see what they will do for you on a replacement piece. Still new and under warranty IMO. Just don't mention it was a display model and you should be able to get it no problems.

I was taking my 22 WSM w/ cover on it to my cabin driving down the road at 80 mph w/ it in the back of my truck. going up hill cover comes off along w/ the lid. bang, bong, bomm. scratch the hell out of the top and it wouldn't fit over the middle section. way, way out of round. got it back to the cabin and took a hammer to it. fits better then it did before. nice a tight w/ no air leaks. its not pretty to look at but cooks like a charm.

Was going to purchase a 22.5" WSM over the internet and was quoted at $250 for a display model with a dent in the main body and some chipped paint.
Shaun

$250 sales price is $150 off the msrp price --- more than enough to purchase a new body. Sure, you could call Weber and tell them you just bought one and they'll probably replace it. But,,, if 'we' keep doing this, their customer service will be forced to tighten up one day. To answer your question, the dent will only affect performance if the bottom/door/lid doesn't fit. Odds are the dent will pretty much pop out if you lay it down and tap on it with a rubber hammer. If it's close to round, won't affect the smoker at all.

Even the slightest of dents renders the smoker completely useless. You need to send the damaged unit to me right away. I'm pretty sure I can find one of the local recyclers to take it...... :rolleyes:

Honestly, unless the dent is (1) on one of the seams where the sections connect, (2) on one of the vent rings or (3) on the side door, a dent will not affect the quality one iota. If you paid $250, that's $49 off the suggested retail. Please note also that many times, dents can be popped out when the cooker is hot and the metal more "pliable". Give it a try with a rubber mallet. You might be pleasantly surprised. As for the chipped paint, get a can of black heat-resistant spray paint and put on a couple coats where the paint is chipped. Personally, I'd ask for at least $100 off the MSRP for the "scratch and dent" floor model.

FYI, the retailer was probably given an allowance for the floor model (or given it outright by Weber) so anything it can sell the dented one for is pure profit. Ask for 50% off and negotiate your way up. The worst that can happen is they'll say no and still sell it for $250.

$250 sales price is $150 off the msrp price --- more than enough to purchase a new body. Sure, you could call Weber and tell them you just bought one and they'll probably replace it. But,,, if 'we' keep doing this, their customer service will be forced to tighten up one day. To answer your question, the dent will only affect performance if the bottom/door/lid doesn't fit. Odds are the dent will pretty much pop out if you lay it down and tap on it with a rubber hammer. If it's close to round, won't affect the smoker at all.

I have to agree that it's not cool to be taking advantage of Webers good will Derek. Getting $150 off is the deal that is being offered for the dent. If you can't live with it, don't take the deal, period. Like chad says, the dent will probably have no bearing on the performance, provided that the grates, pan, and door still fit correctly.

I think I should share this with you as well. In January of this year I bought a new 26" kettle from a Weber dealer in Kitchener, T A appliances. They offered me the kettle, last one in the warehouse for $50.00 off list in other words $349 as compared to $399.00 I bought it and went to pick it up. I asked they open the box as I was from out of town. The porcelain was chipped badly in the lid and you could tell it was packaged that way. We discussed my acceptance of the kettle or a refund but knowing Weber's warranty I was confident I would be taken care of. It took almost 3 weeks to get my warranty approved because I bought the kettle at a discount so I was told. They were not going to honour the warranty for damage. Be careful what you say to them. I'm all for being honest but I did not buy kettle with the dent to get the discount.
Just an FYI

OK, I am not saying to "take advantage" of Weber here. All I am saying is, even if it is a display unit, it is still purchased from a dealer and should still be covered some how. I also agree that a dent won't hurt the cooker at all.

I doubt it will hurt performance but you will fight rust issues where the porcelain enamel is chipped. These units are not painted they are porcelain enamel coated. I would also figure that if it is an internet dealer it is more than likely shipping damage not a display unit but that is a guess. I have heard tell of some places purchasing shipping damaged units and reselling them. It does sound like a great deal but I would see if they can send you a picture of the damaged area first. Good luck and welcome to the board.

Hello everyone, I got the 22.5" WSM today and the dent was actually just the door not fitting the body. The door does not fit the contour of the Weber body but I started bending it into shape and looks like it will hold. In any event I could pick up the door from Cajun Bandit. For the chip, it was actually on the outer lip of the main body (covers the lid lip), which can easily be painted with High Temp black gloss paint. Pretty happy and plan to season it in next weekend!

Back