Danish Baby Backs?

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

What a beautiful Sunday...this week we've had 5 (five) inches of rain! Today, sunshine and a hi of 74!!!

And to top it off, Food Lion put Danish ribs on sale for 2.99 a pound! Can't wait to get started...and I'm about to...the race starts at 12:30....

anyway, I've never done the Danish style before.
Is there anything different I need to know?

Yikes!
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>
Newsletter 13 April 2003
Euro ribs blacklisted
One of the lesser-known secrets of the American fast food business is that the great American rib is actually the great Danish rib. Danish ribs are tenderer than their American equivalents but in the wake of the foot and mouth outbreaks the USA has banned imports... <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Somebody knowledgable please chime in here. /infopop/emoticons/icon_confused.gif

From Barbecue'n on the Internet
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR> The choicest spareribs weigh in at less than three pounds ? called "three and under" by those who get serious about such things. Larger ribs will be tougher and may require more magic to render them tender. Personally, I avoid the small imported "Danish" ribs because of lack of taste and texture. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks Doug, I remember the ban on Danish baby backs because of foot and mouth, but I think it has been lifted...if not, how can the Food Lion chain sell them? Food Lion has had it's problems in the past, but I don't think they can go so far as to sell banned meat!

Regardless, if I live, I will post the results.
They sure don't look as good as regular baby backs, but I'm interested because they always seem to have the connotation of the best...me thinks the tender aspect may lend to restaurant cooking methods (boiling) that can come out tender and expensive!

Thought I'd give it a go...

The ban was lifted sometime ago unles there is another I had not heard of.
Let us know how they turn out.
Jim

Welllllllllll....the "Danish" baby back were not as meaty and just as tender as the regulars...not the best cook here, but I won't get them again unless they're on sale better than the normal stuff....

Have a feeling that this was a "re-intoduction" offer to the American public after the bad press...not bad, but no big deal.

God bless America and American ribs!!!!

A couple of weeks back, Safeway advertized ribs $.99/lb, 10 lb box, so I rushed down and found they were Danish ribs. I opened up a box and they were the thinnest ribs I had ever seen. At best, they were only a 1/2 inch thick and there seemed to be about 8 racks of spares in a 10 lb box. I was completely turned off and didn't buy them.

That's pretty much it...skinniest piece of pig I ever saw...when I was growing up in North Carolina, you didn't fall down in the hog pen...they might eat you! Can't imagine a pig so skinny as to have a rib like that..can't understand the big hype about Danish ribs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back