Damaged SMC

• Thread starter Thread starter Guest
  • Start date Start date

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Hey folks,

Just got my smoker in the mail yesterday. I'd like to fire it up, but there was a large chip in the porcelain on the charcoal bowl. I called up the Weber Customer Service line and they said they'd ship me a new one, but that the bowls were on back order, so it'd be a couple weeks at least until I get a replacement.

So the question is, do you think Weber would mind me using the damaged bowl until I get the new one? Am I supposed to mail it back at some point? I've already had to wait a week to get the smoker from Amazon and somewhere out there, a brisket is calling to me.

I also had a question about the access door. Mine doesn't seem to have a hinge of any sort. It's fairly secure as long as I have it latched, but as soon as I unlatch it, it kinda falls off the smoker. Is that normal?

Someone here feel free to correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think they'll want it back. But you'll certainly only get the bowl itself. If you opt to assemble and use the piece you have, you'll obviously have to disassemble and reassemble the legs on the new one. The porcelain on the old will certainly clean up easily after only a cook or two should they ask for its return, which is doubtful.

No hinge is normal-- the tab fits in at the bottom and the cam on the knob secures the top. Most all bullet-type smokers I've seen are similar.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Doug D:
[qb]correct me if I'm wrong[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Absolutely correct. They never ask for the parts back. Just use the bowl you've got until the new one arrives.

Regards,
Chris

Excellent. Time to start smoking. Thanks to everyone for the advice.

They had me send my bowl back (7/2002) in the same box I got the replacement in. They even arranged for pickup.
I asked about using it while I was waiting for replacement and they said just to clean it out before shipping it back.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Fred Dorn:
[qb]They had me send my bowl back (7/2002) in the same box I got the replacement in. They even arranged for pickup.[/qb] <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>Fred,

Thanks for sharing your experience. This is the first I've ever heard of Weber asking for a part back. What was wrong with your charcoal bowl?

Regards,
Chris

There was a chip in the rim of the bowl. I have had parts replaced on my kettle grills and never had to send anything back. That was a first for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back