Cutting legs off 18" OTS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pat McCreight

TVWBB Pro
I've been looking for a Weber Smokey Joe Platinum to no avail. I currently haul my 22" OTG when I tailgate, etc, but I'm looking for something more portable. I'm wondering if anyone has cut down the legs on a 18" OTS to have something similar to a SJP? Seems that the vent system would be better as well.

i've thought about that. you'd have to put a bolt thru the leg too or when you picked it up the legs would fall out.
heres a pic from the old sjp thread that someone posted
george has been a fan of this approach
DSC03216.jpg

yea, i see no reason to destroy a sjp though its yer choice if it makes you happy. the 18 kettles can be had on cl for cheap. then a few mods that anyone can do and yer good to go.

Is the charcoal bowl and lid the same size on the two grills? Is the only difference the legs, vent set-up, and carrying handle?

no i think the sjp is 18 and the ot is 18.5
i had called last year about a ss grate for my sjp and the sent me a ot grate by mistake.
the sjp is an ooch smaller

Weber One-Touch Gold with handles cut off. Legs were made from a 1" aluminum shower rod (fits perfectly) and 1" crutch tips so I could go back to original if I wanted to. I call this one FAT MAN (Nagasaki, Japan).
WeberGrill_0020.jpg

Robert,

That's pretty cool. I think I need to use an 18" in order to fit my space requirements. I want to be able to store the grill, with the lid off, under the tonneau cover in my pickup. I did some measurements on one of my existing 22" OTG and it would be a tad too tall.

Why did you cut the handles off? Just to save on space?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Why did you cut the handles off? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I didn't want to post these pics yet till my project was complete but since you insist:
WeberGrill_0021.jpg
WeberGrill_0022.jpg
WeberGrill_0023.jpg

i've cut the legs on several 18 inchers for myself and friends .... you can cut the original legs with a circular or miter saw to 7 1/2 inches ....still gives clearance to remove the ash pan on otg

IMG_0230.jpg

Way to go, gentlemen!! The best portable grill Weber never made!!

Weber, take note
icon_smile.gif

I love the ash can + short legs + carrying handle model. Absolutely the best design possible for a portable kettle of decent size.

Hey Robert, what did you line the inside of the hole in the table with? I assume that is for heat protection against the table.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Binns:
Hey Robert, what did you line the inside of the hole in the table with? I assume that is for heat protection against the table. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
The inside of that end of the table is lined with HardieBacker cement board. The whole is lined with aluminum trim coil (flashing) and 3/4" aluminum countertop edging.
Still haven't got around to finishing it.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Tim C:
i've thought about that. you'd have to put a bolt thru the leg too or when you picked it up the legs would fall out.
heres a pic from the old sjp thread that someone posted
george has been a fan of this approach
DSC03216.jpg
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is the lid holder stock from either the jumbo or platinum joe?

Slightly off topic but, I was wondering, I was thinking about making a table like the one in Roberts post, Do you think the handle brackets, (with the handles removed) would be strong enough to support the whole OTG as it sat in the hole?

Yes it will Andrew. My brother made a table out of redwood about 15 yrs ago. And that's the way he supported his kettle.
HTH

Tim

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back