Culver's beats out In-N-Out Burger as America's best burger chain

Jim Lampe

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
Culver's beats out In-N-Out Burger as America's best burger chain

Culver's is the nation's best burger chain, beating out In-N-Out Burger, according to a Restaurant Business report based on data collected from Technomic Ignite.
Overall, Culver's scored 56.7 percent to In-N-Out Burger's 56.3 percent. Culver's rated better in ambiance, food and convenience while In-N-Out rated better for value. The two were virtually tied when it came to service and hospitality.
Not only was Culver's tops among burger chains, it was third among all quick-service chains. Chick-fil-A and Tropical Smoothie Cafe were rated No. 1 and 2, respectively.
Responses of more than 100,000 consumers are used to calculate an overall score based on five categories: service/hospitality, ambiance/appearance, food/beverage, takeout/convenience and value. Restaurant Business website states, "Scores represent the percentage of respondents who strongly agree with the statements, on a scale of 1 to 5."

MORE: Culver's 'exporting Wisconsin' butter burgers, custard, cheese curds nationwide

We've had In-N-Out once, years ago when we were in Las Vegas.
It was ok, nothing special that I remember.
And, we've been to Culver's once.
They have several here in NC.
Once again, it's ok, nothing that dragged us back there.
Like L said, Steak & Shake is real good.
We like Five Guys too.
Fries for days!
There are a couple Shake Shacks here in Charlotte.
Very tasty too!
But nothing beats my home ground burgers on my Weber!

Jim, did you post this just to poke the sleeping bear out here in California? :D

I mean seriously, if you want a good burger, do you go to a place that serves chicken tenders and fish dinners and devotes 25% of its menu to frozen treats? Or do you go to a place that serves just two sizes of burger, one size of fries, three flavors of milk shakes, soft drinks, tea, coffee, and hot chocolate? I mean really...

I've had Culver's...zzzzzzzz....In-N-Out rules! 🍔

P.S. You know these ratings are B.S. because they rate Chick-fil-A as overall #1 quick service chain, and LMichaels has already told us in no uncertain terms that CFA is the worst thing he's ever tasted. 😂

P.S.S. Never trust a burger joint with a faux fireplace in the dining room.

3260167_JTxypwM5O2i27_Er7nEKMxDjA3Zu2nHJ4jThKB20R5s.jpg

I cannot attest to In & Out at all since none are here in my portion of the midwest. I had my first try at 5 Guys when I was a flight attendant and had an over night somewhere in FL (sadly cannot remember where only that stepping out of that airport was like walking in to the gates of hell). Anyway I will just say after all the hype from my fellow crew mates I was disappointed terribly. Maybe it was just that particular store I don't know. We have a 5G here in Rockford IL but when I have Culver's and S&S close by I never saw a reason to drop $$$ there

I like Culver’s quite a bit, never had an “In and Out” but, I can’t get over the name...
Five guys is OK a little rich for a burger, fries are good.
There is a little two store chain here that has become my favorite “Nonla Burger” hands down the best burger that I don’t make. The original one (on Burdick st.) is my favorite, the other one is a bit farther out. They also have a Vietnamese place out in Mattawan, delicious. A taqueria in Schoolcraft, equally delicious and a Banh Mi place downtown, meh.
If you are in the area try them!

I've been to Culver's once and that was enough for me, over priced and nothing to rave about at best. In & out is our go to for fast food burgers Double cheese burger animal style, fries and a shake for the money you can't beat it. Unless of course home ground patty smash burger is on the menu.

I really think the further you get from the "home base" for a chain like Culver's the worse they are. Around here IMO it's a top notch place. Always clean, very high quality beef (and other things as well) I am partial to their pork tenderloin sandwich and their fried cod or walleye when they have it. They use very high quality cheese as well for things. But we're just a skip and jump away from their center of operations so I think QC is MUCH higher here than say in alligator alley

Culver's must be a midwest/east coast chain as I've never heard of them out here on the west coast.

In-and-Out is Ok I guess. I haven't tried 5 Guys yet so can't comment on them.

Brian, Culver's started in the Land of Cheese, aka Wisconsin. While I don't doubt Larrry's comments about QC, that is one of the issues with any large scale or franchise operation, the home office has to ensure that the customer has the same experience in any outlet.

Personally, I don't recall ever having eaten at an In-n-Out. Around here, Culver's seems to be consistently one of the better choices for fast food when I'm on the run (Arby's & Culver's are at the top of that list.) If I'm travelling, I do try to find the hole in the wall joints.

5 Guys? Definitely not a fan. The burgers are okay, always a little more greasy than I care for. Their fries are consistently soggy & limp, and I like mine fairly crispy.

I'm gonna step out of this, go get a beer and make some popcorn.

I’m with Larry on the pork tenderloin, though it’s been discontinued for some reason, availability of pork? The cod is excellent and always to order consequently it’s not the instant delivery that a burger is. The sweet potato fries are great too!
Here in Michigan they seem to be quite consistent one to the next.
Does anyone here remember “Bill Knapp’s”. Now, THAT was a regional gem! I have a couple of their recipes from a friend who knew OLD Mrs. Knapp. Best fried chicken in the world! Scalloped potatoes!!!

Does anyone here remember “Bill Knapp’s”. Now, THAT was a regional gem! I have a couple of their recipes from a friend who knew OLD Mrs. Knapp. Best fried chicken in the world! Scalloped potatoes!!!

I remember Bill Knapp's. It was a sit-down restaurant. They all looked like white houses. We went there once or twice a month, usually a Saturday night after 5:00 mass. When I was a kid I thought they had the best fried chicken. I seem to remember eating there once in the mid-90s on a trip back to Michigan and it wasn't the same; something had changed with the food.

That reminds me, I'm overdue to pull out the Win Schuler's cookbook and make some bar scheeze.

I remember Bill Knapp's. It was a sit-down restaurant. They all looked like white houses. We went there once or twice a month, usually a Saturday night after 5:00 mass. When I was a kid I thought they had the best fried chicken. I seem to remember eating there once in the mid-90s on a trip back to Michigan and it wasn't the same; something had changed with the food.

That reminds me, I'm overdue to pull out the Win Schuler's cookbook and make some bar scheeze.
Schulers isn’t the same anymore either, they are down to the original in Marshall and the last time it was just “missing something”! They actually sell the bar scheeze in grocery stores around here. What an old school place that was a real “White Linen” set up, with yards of ale in the great long neck glasses. Real fireplace, real wood burning in the bar where you used to be able to smoke after dinner! I’m showing my age!

Schulers isn’t the same anymore either, they are down to the original in Marshall and the last time it was just “missing something”! They actually sell the bar scheeze in grocery stores around here. What an old school place that was a real “White Linen” set up, with yards of ale in the great long neck glasses. Real fireplace, real wood burning in the bar where you used to be able to smoke after dinner! I’m showing my age!
One of the grand kids (Jonathan) went to culinary school and wrote a cookbook for the 95th anniversary. The recipe I have from that book is not the original bar scheeze recipe. The original recipe was sold by the family to Campbell's Soup in the 80's. That is what you buy in grocery stores. Since Jonathan could not use the original recipe, he recreated it with garbanzo beans as an ingredient. It's really really good. I remember going to the Marshal location once. What an experience.

Culver's must be a midwest/east coast chain as I've never heard of them out here on the west coast.

In-and-Out is Ok I guess. I haven't tried 5 Guys yet so can't comment on them.

It's more of a midwest thing, but they are branching out. https://www.culvers.com/locator/view-all-locations
I think "Americas" best burger is a reach, because neither are available nationwide, so the poll is skewed.

Tim

One of the grand kids (Jonathan) went to culinary school and wrote a cookbook for the 95th anniversary. The recipe I have from that book is not the original bar scheeze recipe. The original recipe was sold by the family to Campbell's Soup in the 80's. That is what you buy in grocery stores.

That makes a lot of sense.

Back