Cuban pork sandwich

GaryP

TVWBB Pro
Wife and I are re-watching Dexter. So we decided to go for a Cuban sandwich. Already had the ham I made last week. So we marinated a pork butt and cooked it on the pellet pooper. Wife made the Cuban bread and of course some fried plantains. A couple mojitos and we are all set! Hope y'all had a great weekend. IMG_20211017_102659.jpgIMG_20211017_191708.jpgIMG_20211017_192827.jpg

I good Cuban sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches in the world. The problem is no one else in my family likes them. Yours looks better then good, and after seeing the ham cook, to add the pork, over the top! I really think I going to have to set aside some of the pork from the next batch of smoked carnitas to make a Cuban (with store bought ham). What did you use to cook the pork? What is the liquid and what is on the fat cap in the first photo?

I good Cuban sandwich is one of my favorite sandwiches in the world. The problem is no one else in my family likes them. Yours looks better then good, and after seeing the ham cook, to add the pork, over the top! I really think I going to have to set aside some of the pork from the next batch of smoked carnitas to make a Cuban (with store bought ham). What did you use to cook the pork? What is the liquid and what is on the fat cap in the first photo?
So the recipe came from Kenji at serious eats. The butt was marinated overnight and what you're seeing on top is just some orange/lime zest and garlic from the marinade. Kenji says to cook it in the oven so I just used the pellet grill. It started off covered for a few hours then uncovered til tender at 275. Cooked faster than I thought it would so I just stuck it in the cambro til it was time to pull. Once pulled I dunked it in the leftover marinade in the pan and dish it up. Was actually a pretty easy cook although mostly because my wife did the marinade.

Looks delicious!

I see you are getting prepped for that new season of Dexter, as well!

"Tonight's the night." (Well, on November 7th hahaha.)

Back