Crispy Skin ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Al Silverman

TVWBB Pro
O.K. did anyone achive the oh so illusive crisp skin on their smoked turkey ????

I don't mean sort of crisp but the real McCoy like on a grilled or oven roasted bird.

I had my smoker at 350° for almost the entire cook. (Two full chimneys lit, foiled empty water pan and the 10 cfm fan on the Guru). The skin was a beautiful mahogany color and the bird was very tasty and juicy, but the skin was nowhere near the crispness that the bird on my gasser at 350°
had.

Both birds were brined in a Cranapple, salt, and brown sugar brine for 14 hours and then air dried for 24 hours then rubbed with a little melted butter.

Antbody get crisp smoked skin ??????

Al

P.S. I'm still full !!!!!!

I went w/ the rotisserie and the skin was...

Unbelievable.

Will post a longer missive on roti thread as I didn't employ bullet - but got goods with alternate technique...

Had a 16 pounder at 325-350 for about the same time it took my beloved Lions to lose and when I pulled it the skin was very crispy - however - after wrapping with foil and letting it rest for about 25 minutes the steam/moisture had softened up the skin somewhat. Still wasn't rubbery at all and had some crispiness to it but not like when I first pulled it off the WSM.

Jimmy,

Just out of curiosity, did you brine your turkey ?? The other thing I was wondering is did you put the bird on after reaching 350° or while the temp was still climbing?

I was very dissapointed in the rubbery skin that my bird had. I thought that I did everything necessary to get the skin to crisp up but it didn't work.

The turkey on the gasser came out perfect ! I think next time I'll just cook the birds on the gasser with a couple of packets of wood pellets for the smoke.

Al

I tried a technique from Cooks Illustrated for getting crispy skin. Basicaly what you do is to seperate the skin from the muscle. To do this you make a small incision at the edge of the breast and I stuck my finger up in there and worked around, seperating the skin and muscle.

The skin came out great on my T day bird.

Al, I did a 9.91 lb brined turkey on Thanksgiving for Turkey Salad. Brined for 24 hrs dried in fridge for 14 hrs and cooked at 325 using the Guru and the skin was crispy. Not as crispy as the Deep fried one but still very edible. Bryan

Hi Habenero,

Please read this topic about display name.

If you have any questions or concerns, please click "Contact Us" at the bottom of the page and send me an e-mail.

Thanks for your attention to this matter,
Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back