Couple of recent cooks.

Dustin Dorsey

TVWBB Hall of Fame
I got this new toy for my birthday last month

Thermoworks signals. So I figured I would try it out. I totally sold out after being pretty vocal about hating ATCs and got the Billows.

The grocery store had a sale on butts. These were cut in half so I got two money muscle sides.

I cooked them at 250. The Signals/Billows held temp great. I was worried about oversmoking but I couldn't detect anything. In fact the smoke taste was excellent.

I also tried some beef short ribs. I asked for plate but I think these were chuck.

Seasoned with Kosher salt and Oakridge SPOGOS

Cooked these also at 250 and threw on some sausage to go with it. I like a good side meat.

These turned out great other than that massive seam of fat. Maybe if I had cooked these at a higher temp that might have rendered, but I doubt it. I don't know how to order them to keep that from happening to me. My quest for cooking good beef short ribs continues...

All it all I was impressed with the Signals/Billows. It held temp about +/- 10 degrees both cooks. The 2nd cook it was more around +/- 5. I'm pretty good at maintaining temp on the WSM without it with about 6 years under my belt, but it's cool to have another toy to play with if I need to step out or don't feel like fussing with the vents as much. I don't think it's a magic bullet for temp control if you can't run you pit normally. I was surprised that even though you are supposed to choke down the top vent per the instructions I didn't get stale smoke at all. The instructions said 1/8th open on the top vent. I probably set it to 1/4 open.

Looking good, Dustin! You had me at a side of meat to go with the meat! :)

We won't hold your selling out against you.......I use an ATC because it adds some control over my cooks......not because I NEED it. ;)

R

Congrats on the ATC Dustin. I think you'll find it pretty darned handy. Great for all nighters. Your short ribs look delicious as does the sausage.

Back