Couple of Bacon Questions

Dan N.

TVWBB Pro
Time for my first attempt. I figure there is no such thing as a dumb question, so here goes. Just bought 9# of what is labeled side pork. I asked for pork belly and that is what I got. I presume OK? And on one side there is a thick layer of fat. I presume that is considered the rind? If I were to take off before brining wouldn't be left with too much bacon meat. And lastly, I want to wait for colder weather so I will probably freeze for a couple of weeks. I trust that is not an issue?

Thanks - Dan

Dan

Side pork is usually belly.

You shouldn't remove the fat - fat is what makes bacon delicious. The fat isn't the rind as you think. The "rind" is nothing more than pork skin. Often times you will find pork belly which has the rind on it still from being butchered. You can tell what the rind is because it will look like skin, it will be readily distinguishable from the fat and meat below it, and it will often have ink stamps or nipples on it as well. It sounds like you got your belly with the skin already removed, which is fine and shouldn't affect your process one way or the other.

Freezing bacon for a couple weeks either before or after you cure and smoke it shouldn't be an issue at all. Good luck!

And by smoking the belly without the skin makes it take on more smoke. And if you are like me and wanna smell that smoke when you sear up some bacon in the pan thats just a good thing.

Back