Country-Style "Ribs" on a WSM?

Brian Johnson

TVWBB Pro
I've got a buddy at work who has an 18" WSM and is planning on smoking some boneless country style ribs soon. He asked me for some advice on how to cook them (time and technique). Knowing that they are cut from a pork shoulder I was using a butt cook as a point of reference and told him that it probably wouldn't take half as long to cook the "ribs" because they are smaller chunks of meat (even if it's the same total weight). Then I got the thinking that maybe he should simply "cook 'em like ribs". That thought, and the lack of sleep, got me thoroughly confused.

So here I am looking for advice. Do boneless country-style ribs need to be foiled? Should they cook as long as "real" (i.e. spare or back) ribs? Feel free to point me to threads of cooks you've already done and I'll pass them on. I keep telling him he needs to just join the forum.

Depends if there cut from the loin or from the shoulder. Loin CSR's cook pretty quick like chops. CSR's from the shoulder or butt usually take me a few hours at 275, foiling depends on how the cook is going.

Tim

Brian, I cook them all the time on my WSM. Usually with other stuff, cause they cook quick. I lay them out on the rack for about 45 minutes depending on how big they are. Then I baste and foil them for a hour or until they are fork tender. Temps. around 250. I almost always do boneless. If you look under my name you will see some of my CSR cooks.

Like Timothy said it depend on the cut. If they are bone in then usually they are a pork butt cut up. These are the kind I like to cook. Good rub, low and slow, and they are really good. I prefer to sauce but some guys I know don't.

For boneless I've found the best way to cook them is to do a mustard then rub coating. Then I'll throw them indirect on the Performer at 350 for about an three beers or 45 minutes. Then I'll sauce them hard, let them bubble, then sauce them again. For Bone in I like to slow the process down to at least a six pack or 1 hour 30 minutes. Then again I like em' sauced.

Don't know if this helps or not, but it sure is making me want ribs.:coolkettle:

Back