Country style ribs? AARGH!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Madbbqer

TVWBB Member
Once again, yours truly made a newbie mistake. I have read time & time again to avoid country style ribs. Guess who didn't avoid them?

Any know what I can do with these things on the WSM?

Cook them like you would pork butt, it won't take it as long. This is in a lot of cases pork butt cut into what you have purchased.
Jim

Not that you'd do it on a WSM, but grilling country style ribs will give you a pretty damn yummy product. Rub them down like you would any rib, and grill them over medium heat. You don't want to sear them like a steak, but you don't need to cook them for 3 or 4 hours either.

Sauce or glaze them towards the end of your cook time, and I think you'll no longer regret having bought them.

Good luck,

Rick

Ok. Hands free.

From my experience, the ribs cook like pork chops. Lean and tasty. Some things are not meant to be cooked low and slow. Some things are too dry if you take them to 190.

What worked for me and I would do again is to smoked them at a high temp (say 350), using the waterless method and pulled off when the juice runs clear. I pulled them when they were still moist. It is kind of like grilling with smoke flavor.

Like most smaller cuts of meat, letting sit on the counter too long will not help.

I'm no expert on cooking, but I've never had good luck with them....they all seem to be slices of butt, but without enough fat to moisten them during cooking (and I've tried many different ways of cooking them)

I don't buy'em anymore. Maybe when I get to be a better cook.

There are 2 totally different types of country ribs! Some butchers sell them cut from the butt. Others sell them cut from the loin end.

This makes it VERY hard to explain the cooking process..as we have seen here in this thread.

My way around it(when Lynne buys them), I sear on the grill over high heat, then foil and cook for a couple of hours using indirect heat. Take out of foil and sauce and then high heat grill again to set the sauce. No matter where they are cut from, they will come out tender and juicy using this method. NOT BBQ, but a great way to get tender juicy meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back