Corned Beef

Jerry N.

TVWBB Emerald Member
Not sure the best place to post this because I won’t likely be using my Weber for corned beef. We didn’t get to cook it on St. Paddy’s day So I was thinking of cooking it this weekend. I’m looking for a good way to cook corned beef. I have a nice Dutch oven but all the recipes I look at basically just add water and boil the corned beef until tender. That doesn’t seem like a great process. I’ve also seen some recipes where you wrap it in foil and roast it. That looks a bit more appealing. Is there any particular way you like to do corned beef that I should consider? Thanks.

Boiling a corned beef is an important step in that the boiling draws the salt brine out of the corned beef. Without boiling it, your corned beef will be ridiculously salty. You can combine both methods; a boil and then wrap to roast it. But I’d definitely make sure I boil it or soak it in 2x cleaned water for 24 hours before just roasting it in an aluminum foil pouch.

Last edited:
IMO, it is hard to beat corned beef boiled with cabbage. If you want a brisket, I would just buy one.

I was gonna say if you have a Sous-Vide try that.
Last one we SV'd for 24 hrs, rubbed with brown sugar and mustard on the grill till crusty brown.

Barb and I use this as our go to Corned Beef recipe. No grill involved but we've done it three times now and it's been excellent. Twice in the slow cooker and once in the instant pot with its slow cooker option.
Because there is just the two of us, we cut it back to 3 potatoes, 1/2 onion and 1 brisket and keep the rest the same.

Slow Cooked Corned Beef

Ingredients

6 medium red potatoes, quartered
2 medium carrots, cut into chunks
1 large onion, sliced
2 corned beef briskets with spice packets (3 pounds each)
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons coriander seeds
2 tablespoons whole peppercorns
4 cups water

Directions

In a 6-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots and onion. Add briskets (discard spice packets from corned beef or save for another use). Sprinkle the brown sugar, sugar, coriander and peppercorns over meat. Pour water over top.

Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.

Remove meat and vegetables to a serving platter. Thinly slice 1 brisket across the grain and serve with vegetables. Save the remaining brisket for Reuben Strata (recipe also in Recipe Finder) or save for another use.

Boiling until tender is pretty much SOP for corned beef. If you want to take it up a notch, give it a good rinse, apply a generous coating of rub, using black pepper, ground coriander and granulated garlic in equal parts, smoke at 225 to an internal temperature of 155, wrap and continue to cook to 195. Rest for 1/2-hour, chill uncovered in the fridge overnight, slice thin and enjoy the easiest pastrami you'll ever make.

You can all keep the potatoes and carrots and cabbage. Just gimme a good ol' Kosher on Rye with mustard piled high and dripping YUM!
Can't argue with that! I'm partial to either corned beef or pastrami, sliced thin, steamed and piled high, on Jewish Rye with homemade sauerkraut, melted American cheese and plain old yellow mustard. Some may scoff at the American cheese but, it has its place here and on smash burgers IMO.

My favorite was is smoking it right out of the package for about 4 hours and finishing it on the trivet with water not touching the beef in the Instant Pot on Pressure for 30 minutes. Remove beef, add vegs, and cook 4 min. Everything done.

I have been doing an instant pot version with one can of beer and one can of beef broth, 90 minutes, done, diced potato and carrots in pot juice for 5 minutes.

I used this recipe for St. Paddy’s day this year, it was really good. I did soak it overnight, changing the water a few times.
I’m going to try that recipe next time. This time I gave in to using the crock pot. It will sit on low for most of the day while I get some work done. Thanks for the input.

Can't argue with that! I'm partial to either corned beef or pastrami, sliced thin, steamed and piled high, on Jewish Rye with homemade sauerkraut, melted American cheese and plain old yellow mustard. Some may scoff at the American cheese but, it has its place here and on smash burgers IMO.
No, no, no. Skip all the "stuff". Just piled high, dripping from steam and fat, some good yellow mustard and Jewish rye. Nothing else. No toasting, no cheese, no salad just a good simple Jewish deli corned beef (or pastrami) sandwich. I am a purist. Grew up on the stuff at true Chicago deli shops. They would not be caught dead loading one up like that. Sorry. Yuk.

No, no, no. Skip all the "stuff". Just piled high, dripping from steam and fat, some good yellow mustard and Jewish rye. Nothing else. No toasting, no cheese, no salad just a good simple Jewish deli corned beef (or pastrami) sandwich. I am a purist. Grew up on the stuff at true Chicago deli shops. They would not be caught dead loading one up like that. Sorry. Yuk.
Purists unite! I’d like a knish on the side and a Dr. Browns Celrey too, please. Hurry up! I’m not fat enough, yet!

Nothing wrong with that.
Different strokes for different folks. And I forgot to include some of my dill chips on mine :)

Back