Cooking for 80 this weekend...

JBaker

TVWBB Super Fan
Every year I get roped into cooking for a good friend's party. This year should be a little easier, he's settled in on pulled pork, chicken thighs, chicken legs. A little over 100 invited, 80 are sure to show up.

Anyone want to guesstimate how many butts I should smoke, each weighing 8-9 lbs? And how many total pieces of chicken? There'll be lots of other food there, but for meat this will be it.

I have my own idea of an amount, I just want to see what all the experts think.

I did a similar cook recently except we had ribs which seemed to be the most popular item. I'd do 3 to 4 butts. You can always vac. seal and freeze, which is what I did with my leftovers. I'd do 75 pieces of chicken.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by jbaker:
Every year I get roped into cooking for a good friend's party. This year should be a little easier, he's settled in on pulled pork, chicken thighs, chicken legs. A little over 100 invited, 80 are sure to show up.

Anyone want to guesstimate how many butts I should smoke, each weighing 8-9 lbs? And how many total pieces of chicken? There'll be lots of other food there, but for meat this will be it.

I have my own idea of an amount, I just want to see what all the experts think. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I did a Grad party for 40, well 50 showed up. I went through almost 4 butts. So for your "80" gig, I'd do at least 6 since you have chicken also. But if it were me doing it, I'd rather have more, than run out.
So I would do 8 butts in your lb. range you posted and 100 pieces of chicken. That said, what about Kids? Many tend to like burgers and dogs, than BBQ. Something else you might want to think about. HTH

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Bryan S:
So I would do 8 butts in your lb. range you posted and 100 pieces of chicken. That said, what about Kids? Many tend to like burgers and dogs, than BBQ. Something else you might want to think about. HTH </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I came up with 7 butts and 100 pcs of chicken myself, but also think 5 butts would do it if we were careful with portions. So 8 it is. I don't think there'll be any problems getting people to take some home.

Funny you should ask about the kids. Last year we had pulled pork (about 30 lbs before cooking), and a mess of chicken, along with hot dogs and hamburgers for the kids. Trouble was the kids kept coming back to the table looking for "that good meat". The pulled pork stole the show right across all ages, we ran out quickly.

Back