cooking and 8 lb bone in standing rib roast on rotisserie, 22" grill or 22" WSM today or tomorrow temperature question

Tom Raveret

TVWBB Pro
Hoping all had a great Christmas Holiday..

I have a very nice looking 8 lb bone in Black Angus Choice bone in standing rib roast I'm going to cook today.

I don't want to over cook it and am leaning toward using the rotisserie but open to ideas. I try and pull at 125 and rest but the last couple of times its been over cooked more of a medium than a medium rare. I will take it out of the fridge and season it and let it sit out for at least an hour before putting on the rotisserie.

Doy you bother to tie your prime rib roasts?

any ideas??

I'm using a thermapen to test temperature.

Also open to what to season it with as my initial thoughts are Salt Pepper and Garlic paste maybe some thyme and rosemary (though I wonder how much I will lose with rotisserie cooking)

Thanks for the ideas.

Last edited:
On quality beef my theory is "let the beef shine" that means VERY simple seasonings typically S&P only. Let the cooking method allow the meat and simple seasoning shine through. Not long ago I had my next door neighbor over for steaks. He marveled at the seasoning I used and the crust I achieved. He insisted there had to be "more" than I was telling him. It was only S&P and careful cooking on my Genesis with some mesquite smoke added with a small amount of wood chips in a foil packet. He truly could not believe I got all that so simply. To my taste garlic over powers good meat. So a little smoke, careful cooking and generous S&P.

On quality beef my theory is "let the beef shine" that means VERY simple seasonings typically S&P only. Let the cooking method allow the meat and simple seasoning shine through. Not long ago I had my next door neighbor over for steaks. He marveled at the seasoning I used and the crust I achieved. He insisted there had to be "more" than I was telling him. It was only S&P and careful cooking on my Genesis with some mesquite smoke added with a small amount of wood chips in a foil packet. He truly could not believe I got all that so simply. To my taste garlic over powers good meat. So a little smoke, careful cooking and generous S&P.
I was going to use Cherry, i agree if you use mesquite you have to use very little as it can be overpowering

Since it's an 8 lb. roast I think it'll be fine if you pull it off the fire at 115, but I also like rare beef.

Cherry will be fine but to expand on what Larry posted, I like the garlicky/herby wet rubs and pastes when I'm cooking over charcoal only but if I'm smoking I'm more inclined to go with salt, pepper and maybe a little garlic or onion powder. And if you do use the rotisserie most of the rub will stay stuck to the meat.

I tie my roasts because I season between the meat and the bones, and also under the fat cap (if it's thick enough to work with).

Time to go raid the fridge for some leftover Christmas Eve roast now...

I’d use a little cherry but, not a lot. I have gone through phases of liking a nice herbaceous crust and going basic salt and pepper stopping at all points in between. They are all good if it’s a good piece of beef.
I’ve done them both ways, spinning or basic indirect. They both work well. If the ribs have been removed and tied back in place, I think I’d go for basic indirect. If it’s still intact spin away!

I was going to use Cherry, i agree if you use mesquite you have to use very little as it can be overpowering
I use cherry preferably when I can find it. I find that if you use mesquite VERY sparingly the flavor profile mimics cherry. But cherry is my "go to" for beef when I can find it, when not I go to mesquite. But if I am cooking quality beef I wanna taste the beast not the rub

I’d use a little cherry but, not a lot. I have gone through phases of liking a nice herbaceous crust and going basic salt and pepper stopping at all points in between. They are all good if it’s a good piece of beef.
I’ve done them both ways, spinning or basic indirect. They both work well. If the ribs have been removed and tied back in place, I think I’d go for basic indirect. If it’s still intact spin away!
I'm going to take this suggestion... I didnt realize the bones were cut (not completely but like half way in and they used elastic twine. i took that off and retied before seasoning so I think I'm going basic indirect and probably one ort two at teh most chunks of cherry

I am not fond of the elastic attachment, just seems cheap! You spend a lot for a good piece of beef and the guy (usually not a trained BUTCHER) just hacks through some of the bone connection then uses rubber bands to re assemble instead of actually tying it back the way it’s supposed to be done!
Two chunks should be ample!
Enjoy the feast!

It turned out great!! I used a very garlicly hreb rub recipe out of Barb Kafka's roasting i use on legs of lamb!! I'd post pictures if i could figure out how to... thank you to all for the tips. The collective wisdom definatley improved the finished product (and Chris's article on herb roasted prime rib)

best forum out there!!!

Cheers

Back